Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Home Page 404 Error

ThatRonGuy

Total Posts:  3

Just started using Magento for the first time and I am reallty loving the entire interface.
For some reason (probably some setting I edited) the ‘Home Page” stopped working properly and now shows a 404 Error instead of the default page like it did when it was first installed… but everything else works perfectly.
What setting do I need to adjust in the Admin to put things back??
HEELLLLP!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ThatRonGuy

You know its funny, I am almost starting to think that answers are deleted by the Magento staff so you’ll be forced to purchase their support.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Do you mean the homepage just showed the 404 error page? What about the admin page?

As for the answers being deleted, unless it is a self-promotional reply, I do not believe that it will be removed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

erenaud

Total Posts:  221
Minden, Germany

I am, right now, getting the same error.

If I go to my domain, I immediately get a 404 (the standard 404 of magento).
Everything else works perfectly.

If I enter http://www.mydomain.com/Home?___store=default then my start page is showing correctly.

this must have something to do with URLrewrites ? I cleared caches, changed settings, but can’t get this back up running.

any ideas ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

@stevedupont: Does the server your site is hosted on have “mod_rewrite” enabled?

Magento Community
Magento Community

erenaud

Total Posts:  221
Minden, Germany

yes, it has mod_rewrite enabled, it did work before, now it doesn’t, and I am trying to figure out what I did wrong.
webserver rewrite setting in admin configuration is turned on.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JeffParker45

Total Posts:  1

I"m having the same trouble.  What gives?  Whats the issue?

Why can’t magento just work the way it is supposed to work. 

Is it a sucky product or something? 

I thought it was supposed to be good?

Although searching for 2 weeks what the solution is to this random showing up 404 error, I can not find a solution online.

Everything else works fine.

Whats the issue?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kissalanwong

Total Posts:  1

I also encountered 404 homepage problem before, and finally found that it’s just because of my incorrect store view setting. 

As I tried to build a store in Chinese only, I created a new store view “chinese”, and disabled the “default” English one.  But I forgot to change the default store view to “chinese”, so system tried to look for “default” store view and failed, then 404 error.

Magento Community
Magento Community

colourgraphics

I had this issue, did my head in for 2 days, i found that there was an empty request_path in the core_url_rewrite table in the database.

I deleted the line & hey presto everything worked.

Open your database in phpmyadmin, go to core_url_rewrite table click on the request_path filter tab on the right hand side to change the sort order & the empty line item should filter to the top, delete the annoying little blighter & run round the room with waving your hand in the air as you can now sleep at night!

Magento Community
Magento Community

bigr3d89

Total Posts:  9

colourgraphics - 03 December 2011 04:01 AM

I had this issue, did my head in for 2 days, i found that there was an empty request_path in the core_url_rewrite table in the database.

I deleted the line & hey presto everything worked.

Open your database in phpmyadmin, go to core_url_rewrite table click on the request_path filter tab on the right hand side to change the sort order & the empty line item should filter to the top, delete the annoying little blighter & run round the room with waving your hand in the air as you can now sleep at night!

You sir,
Are a living legend! Thank you so much!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dezzign777

Australia

Yes your a good man smile Thanks for the share, well found....

Magento Community
Magento Community

ScottKenne

**CURRENT SOLUTION**

I ran around all day today trying to figure out this issue.  I checked the url settings about a million times and looked in core_url_rewrite table at least 100 times. Nothing worked and my only viable work around was setting the CMS No Route Page = My Home Page.

Solution: In Magento 1.13 EE the core_url_rewrite table is now the Enterprise_url_rewrite table. In here I searched SELECT * FROM `enterprise_url_rewrite` WHERE target_path = ‘’;

This found a single element that had an empty target_path. I deleted it, cleared cache/full_page_cache and changed the CMS No Route Page back to my 404 page and all is good in the world.

Figured I would post this because it deals with the most current version of Magento EE as of April 30, 2014

Magento Community
Magento Community

ScottKenne

**CURRENT SOLUTION**

I ran around all day today trying to figure out this issue.  I checked the url settings about a million times and looked in core_url_rewrite table at least 100 times. Nothing worked and my only viable work around was setting the CMS No Route Page = My Home Page.

Solution: In Magento 1.13 EE the core_url_rewrite table is now the Enterprise_url_rewrite table. In here I searched SELECT * FROM `enterprise_url_rewrite` WHERE identifier = “”; (others say target_path as the issue i searched both)

This found a single element that had an empty identifier (others say target_path as the issue i searched both). I deleted it, cleared cache/full_page_cache and changed the CMS No Route Page back to my 404 page and all is good in the world.

Figured I would post this because it deals with the most current version of Magento EE as of April 30, 2014

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community