Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Need some Sample Products Please!!! 

Danielc1234

Total Posts:  175
Miami, FL - United States

I just installed Magento and noticed that the sample products are not in this version. Is there somewhere that we can grab the sample products so I can import them into the demo store. It would greatly help in going through functions if something is there to see an example of it.
Thanks
Daniel

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

roskolnikov

Total Posts:  31
Caribbean

Yeh, in the current download the media folder which is in the main magento directory is now empty for some reason. This is the reason you do not have any products. I have sent in a request to see wht’s up. These guys are great on replies so just hold out a day or 2 max and you’ll have a response.

Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

I know this can be infuriating but.... As one of many many oscommerce users....experiment.... (for the moment) put products in.... log into admin demo (Magento) and see how the more exotic setups are made… I know thats not enough but at least you get your foot in the door! wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

roskolnikov

Caribbean

harry12bar

Its not a question of inserting a product only, the download used to have these two folders in the media folder named uploads and catalog.
When one downloads now one doesn’t get these folders (from the zip file at least). The fact that they were there in previous downloads could get some people peeved who may now have to face an increased learning curve. Varien goes through a lot more effort (see the screencasts etc ) to make this software much more of an easy learn than OSC so that’s why Danielc1234 might have posted. It just seems out of line with their philosophy

however, you are right do experiment any way there is a lot yu can do without the products anyway such as learn to customize the look and feel of the interface

In my own experience when the software is installed locally on my xampp even when i create new categories it doesn’t show up on the interface as a menu (navigational) choice.
Do you have any suggestions on that issue

Peace
I

Magento Community
Magento Community

Danielc1234

Total Posts:  175
Miami, FL - United States

That is why I posted. There were some great advantages to see what the designers were doing with the inventory, as far as the setups and many various options that you can accomplish with catagories, attributes, etc. It’s just nice to be able to poke your head in the back door and see how they are doing it. Just like in the screencast.

Can you hear us Magento????
Thanks Daniel

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

this has already been addressed. roy rubin said the team intends to create some an import archive for those that wish to import sample data. personally i’m glad they’ve been removed, as many of us wanted much more of a clean slate then the current template provides.

Magento Community
Magento Community

roskolnikov

Caribbean

Thread closed?

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

We should have a sample data import very soon. We will update the community once it is ready.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community