Magento Forum

Would Like UK Regions in drop downs

jfinch

Total Posts:  11

Hi,

How can I populate the regions drop down menu for the UK for whenever that menu is present. Also because I would like to use UK regions in the Table rate shipment method. I took a look at the MySQL database and I think I may know but I would rather get a step by step guide from someone here just to be safe.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jfinch

Bump. Surprised this doesn’t affect others.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rousie

Total Posts:  58

I’d give this a bump, too!

Magento Community
Magento Community

jfinch

Ha cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community

jfinch

Bump again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

frontier

Total Posts:  41

Here, here.

Would be cool if someone just did a single worldwide regions patch.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stridey

If you mean a sort of counties drop down list like on many sites, Id suggest you dont actually bother.

When filling out an address customers would of course drop down the list, but certain areas cause problems…

Counties like Rutland, or areas like London would need to be included. But imagine you are a customer, you always need to scroll down to ‘West Sussex’, after ‘Sussex’ or East Sussex’....and always after Aberdeenshire etc etc…

I also abbreviate Hertfordshire to ‘Herts’ when filling out forms etc.

I find a large number of people mis-hit Herefordshire, when they meant Hertfordshire.

I think it is cleaner and more ‘human’ to leave the customer to fill that box by hand?

Magento Community
Magento Community

frontier

Total Posts:  41

Some good points stridey, I am not familiar with the UK yet, planning to open a .co.uk web store soon though..

Here on mainland Australia we have 8 states and territories. I am looking for the UK equivalent of this only.. whatever they are.. hehe I do have some research to do yet. wink

Regarding town/suburb names as you appear to have listed, yes this is would be ugly using a standard combo box. Hopefully one day Magento will do an AJAX dropdown list for that, because having clean addresses would be really nice!

Magento Community
Magento Community

stridey

The only ‘areas’ I’m familiar with would be UK counties. On my current site thats a drop down list of approx 120 areas....

People do use ‘postcodes’ and these (the first half) denotes a larger area. this may be the info you need to grab.

People do not use a more regional description in the UK, and would not be familiar with describing their location as North/South etc to cut down on regions. England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, yes...but the Cornish may well not want to describe themselves as ‘England’...(not a flippant comment, my market is surf skate stuff and many Cornish customers would hate it if they had to describe Cornwall as English… despite it being the case...its more a courtesy thing....
Also we dont tend to describe ourselves as being in England on postal addresses, if we are in England already....Even for Scotland or Wales, the UK postcode describes the location. I sometimes get customers who will add ‘Scotland’ to an address, but that isnt needed. I do however replicate their description as a courtesy. Basically if a customer describes themselves as bing in Scotland, even though the shippers dont need to know that, I include it so as to placate the customer. But it would be unsual to see ‘Scotland’ ‘Wales’ etc in any UK based selection on addresses.

Then you may want to factor in Northern Ireland, same currency, different area/region/postal rates(when using courior companies)

For shipping most smaller items would be a standard postal rate. For larger items there are often extra charges for ‘highlands and islands’ or a time factor delay of a day or so on estimated delivery to those areas.

Also, if you are contemplating a UK store, if you are not currently selling into the rest of the EU you may well get orders from other European countries as well. I have found my Euro sales have gone up as the GPB Pound has fallen.

So many things to worry about!

Magento Community
Magento Community

purplemine

Total Posts:  143
London

I have added all the UK counties to my database directly, purely for the following reason:

When delivering to regions that are outside of the EU but still part of Great Britain (Jersey & Guernsey) we have to charge 0% VAT, we therefore need a way to allow this in the tax rates.  As magento does not yet support Postcode wildcards for this purpose ie. JE* then I have to add the counties and base the tax on that.

Apart from that, the counties are not needed and already they are not a needed part of theUK address.  We will be using a postcode population service very soon and generally they only provide street level & postal district info from the postcode, which is all that is needed.

John

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community