Magento Forum

Customizing Categories

miked2004

Total Posts:  214
Atlanta, Georgia

I am looking to promote music bands on a magento site and had a few questions:
I was thinking the way to do it would be to have each band be a “category” and then any merchandise would show up after clicking on a band("category"). I would want to add things to each band that are not products. for example: A music player that has a few of there songs, a list of tour dates, etc.. I would want to manage this with the admin tools. I am not sure where to get started, how would I add a new field to a category for tour dates. I hope I am explaining my self clearly. Any help is much appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

bcelenza

Total Posts:  44

Could this all be accomplished using static blocks for “category landing pages”? Or am I misunderstanding the question?

Check out: http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/how-do-i-create-and-edit-static-blocks and http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-creating-and-managing-categories

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

You could use blocks or you could use additional category attributes. I have a category attribute manager that lets you add additional category attributes, manageable by the admin GUI and visible on the front-end, much the same way that product attributes work. This would let you add html blocks, embed video/music, add 2nd/3rd images etc, without having to switch between static blocks and category management. I just find this method alot easier to control since all of the category information can be edited in the same place. If I get a chance this weekend, I will try to pack up the category attribute manager as an extension.

Dan

Magento Community
Magento Community

miked2004

Atlanta, Georgia

bcelenza thanks for the response: I did need to take a closer look at the static blocks info, but what dan_w said about a category attribute manager is more what I was thinking about. The main functionality I need is to be able to assign mostly media like mp3’s and video files to a category to be managed with the cms.

dan_w Thanks for the response. That sounds just what I was thinking of. I was not sure if that was allready incorperated into magento. I would have thought that it would have been.

Magento Community
Magento Community

miked2004

Atlanta, Georgia

@dan_w:

I did some research and found this page telling how to manually add category attributes (http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how-to/add-attributes-to-product-grid). Does your attribute manager use this process and just automate it? I was just wondering . I think it would be cool to provide this as an extension.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

@miked2004
I looked at the wiki and the article discusses how to display various product attributes on the product list portion of a category page. So, lets say that you have a product attribute called “manufacturer” and you want that to display under product name on the product list, you’d use that wiki article to accomplish this. In these cases its not really a category attribute, but rather a product attribute displayed on the category page. I’ve extended the default product attribute manager (where you create product attributes like manufacturer), to use categories as well. For example, you could define a second category attribute called “tour dates”. Then when you went to “Manage Categories’ you’d see a new input field called “tour dates” where you could enter txt, html, video, or whatever for that category and have it display on the frontend category page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

quanza

Total Posts:  97
Tokyo, Japan

My God! This Category Attribute Manager you speak of - is it available somewhere?!  This is *exactly* what I am looking for .... how can I get my hands on it?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community