Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Managing Column Blocks

astra05

Total Posts:  6
Michigan

I know this maybe a newbish question, but I thought it would be a good refrence for the forums. I have am having trouble defining layouts in my themes with content blocks. I can control the static blocks through the CMS manager, yet even through all the xml editing, it appears I still have no control over the content blocks. Using Magento 1.1.8.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

eklusman

Total Posts:  25

Try to put an example of something you want to do with the xml so we can help you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

astra05

Michigan

By default in all themes you get the my cart and school sale blocks on your left content block. Despite all of my efforts and research, and even just changing “left and right” in the xml file per module, does not seem to help. I guess I am having a hard time finding a concrete location to control what is in the content blocks

Magento Community
Magento Community

eklusman

Try with checkout.xml, there you will see something that says <reference name="left">, inside will be the cart sidebar block, if you change the reference to right you should get it on the right sidebar column.
Also, this will sound silly but can happen, make sure the page you are seeing has a 3 column layout, or a right column layout, if not you wont see anything on the right side.
Hope that helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community

astra05

Michigan

So how do you set a function to not be listed in the xml? just type in null to the reference name?

Magento Community
Magento Community

astra05

Michigan

I guess what can be defined in “reference_name=” is not listed, perhaps this forum is a good place to post one’s options.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eklusman

Just remove it or even better comment it, so you can still have it in case you need it in the future.

Magento Community
Magento Community

astra05

Michigan

Thanks for your help!

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how-to/designing/designing-for-magento#reference_name_valuesattributes

That is a good reference for people in the future!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community