Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Question about input of special characters: SOLVED (see response #1)

Grayson

Total Posts:  58
Netherlands

(Please excuse the English, unfortunately I don’t speak French. smile )

I run a Dutch store and am having all kinds of problems with input of accented characters (á, ë, etc)—not only in the Admin (for example, product descriptions, CMS page content) but also in the storefront (for example, customer entering a new tag).

I believe the problems arise from Magento expecting utf-8 character set input, while a random visitor to the store may be using anything at all, such as latin-1 (with all the Western European characters). Since we can’t expect utf-8 input from our visitors, I think Magento will have to take care of intercepting and converting user input with special characters before processing it further. (See this thread for more information.) But I haven’t seen too much about this in the forums ,which would seem to indicate that it isn’t a Magento problem but a problem local to me.

So I’m here to ask if you all are also experiencing these problems. If you once did but no longer do, please tell me what you did to solve the problem! smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Grayson

Total Posts:  58
Netherlands

Redrum (see this post) and SeL (see this post) provided the information to solve this problem. It turns out to be a server issue, not a Magento issue. Whew smile.

The solution for these problems is to add

AddDefaultCharset Off

in the .htaccess file in the magento root directory. If you still have problems, ramp up to this:

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

Moshe says this will be added in the next release, so hopefully no one will ever have to deal with it again wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

kjyothis

Total Posts:  9

It was real problem for me as well.

I could overcome this without the help of server support and htaccess. Htaccess works for the import through admin. But when we do that through cron, we will have to ask server people to modify or we can convert the file content to UTF-8 format.

$yourContent = iconv(’ISO-8859-1’, ‘UTF-8’, $yourContent);

If your server default is not Western European, you can find the default server type and use its code instead of ‘ISO-8859-1’.

Hope this helps…

Krishna

Magento Community
Magento Community

mstrlekar

Total Posts:  1

Does not work

Magento Community
Magento Community

moostache