Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Misleading Extension Ratings

Matt Dean
Guru

Total Posts:  549

Hi Folks,

Thoughts on the following would be appreciated..

Recently I’ve noticed that some people seem to be having fun rating extensions as ‘1 star’ without leaving any feedback or providing a review.

I’ve no idea why someone would want to do this, but as an extension author it’s pretty annoying having all of your hard work - hard work you’ve done for others - rated badly for no reason whatsoever.  It’s also bad for potential users of the extension who may be put off by the bad rating when actually they could have benefited from a good quality extension.

I think the root of this problem is that it’s possible to rate an extension without leaving a trail. If the rater leaves no review, there’s no way of knowing who they were.  (so for example I can’t see whether it’s the same person going around giving many extensions poor reviews for ‘fun’ or not)

So how about:
Extension ratings always show which user made them
or
Extension ratings are only possible if a review is left. (so will therefore show the user which made them)

Here’s one example of this. As I write this, this extension http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/672/nicer-image-names has only been out for a week or so, has only one vote (of 1 star) but no comments. When I first looked at it, it’d only been downloaded twice but already had a 1 star rating.  I bet the author is really happy with that!

Thoughts?
Matt

PS I know this isn’t mega-important in the grand scheme of things, but if people are going to take the time to write and release extensions then they should at least get ratings which are as fair as possible I think.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Cryptkeeper

Total Posts:  3

110% with you on that one, I was looking at downloading some, and saw they were rated 1 star so didn’t do it.

honestly, maybe it should be invisible until 10 people have voted on it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

I do think this is mega-important. Even for Magento. Imagine what new people think when they see all the 1 star ratings? They think Magento doesn’t have a community that can provide good modules.

It is my belief that people who put out commercial extensions rate the 1 star. After all, who are you going to pick for your business… The 1 star free module or the 4 star commercial module. I do not think ratings should be anonymous. It would totally prevent this. Also, if someone is running around giving one stars they should be banned.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

I don’t care the ratings because I never believe it will be accurate for the reason that people can have their friends, families, and staffs signup to rate their commercial extensions. Disclaimer: not suggesting I think anybody did that and I certainly will never do something like this for my themes - it’s just my cynicism on human nature smile

But Matt has brought up a very good point.
Can a non-member rates an extension?

I think it’s nice to show the member’s screen name. If someone with a few posts record rates something, then other can make up their minds how reliable and fair the rating is.

Oh, even better if one IP address can rate on the same extension only once.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

Matt,

While I can’t speak to overhauling the ratings engine, I did test out your extension and thought it was great. Left feedback and a rating to that extent. Hopefully that helps offset the 1 star grin

Skippy

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

That has honestly bugged me from day-one of magento connect. It seems that within a few minutes of an extension being released, it has a one-star rating for no good reason. In my opinion, its just juvenile.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

I agree - this needs to be addressed!
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Yes I do agree with you on this. I believe a review must be written to accompany the ratings and the author should be able to respond to negative ratings as well. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community