Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

CSS Design Changes

Shepstar

Total Posts:  142

Hi Guys

I’m relativly new in the magento things. I’m not a programmer, just a graphic designer who does websites.
I have the magento up running and been making my design changes in the css files. I read the manual which is online and duplicated the “skin/frontend/default” so I have my own user folder with the css and stuff.

I changed a lot in the css files so the look of the site is like I wanted. I now noticed the sentence in the top:
* Do not edit or add to this file if you wish to upgrade Magento to newer
* versions in the future. If you wish to customize Magento for your
* needs please refer to http://www.magentocommerce.com for more information.

So either I got something wrong and have to do everything again or the sentence doesn’t make sense.
Where do I change the css design for my purposes whithout loosing the ability to upgrade magento?

Would be nice if someone could help me out.
Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

Yeah that is in every file - just create your own theme and in that way it will not be over-written by any upgrades.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shepstar

Total Posts:  142

But still the functionality of the system will be given once I upgrade? At least I hope so wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

hmpierson

Total Posts:  101

Shepstar - 04 December 2008 12:12 AM

Hi Guys

I’m relativly new in the magento things. I’m not a programmer, just a graphic designer who does websites.
I have the magento up running and been making my design changes in the css files. I read the manual which is online and duplicated the “skin/frontend/default” so I have my own user folder with the css and stuff.

I changed a lot in the css files so the look of the site is like I wanted. I now noticed the sentence in the top:
* Do not edit or add to this file if you wish to upgrade Magento to newer
* versions in the future. If you wish to customize Magento for your
* needs please refer to http://www.magentocommerce.com for more information.

So either I got something wrong and have to do everything again or the sentence doesn’t make sense.
Where do I change the css design for my purposes whithout loosing the ability to upgrade magento?

Would be nice if someone could help me out.
Thanks.

In addition to creating your own theme, you need to add files to the /skin subdirectory tree.

see my 4th entry in:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/24842/

do a “view page source,” if you don’t do this, it looks to the “default” css, which I expect DOES get overwritten.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community