Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
FIXED: Regarding Top Navigation Not Showing

fupper

Total Posts:  33

Hi, i have recently installed Magento with the modern theme.
However, as i add my categories in admin, the top navigation does not show the drop down menus and stuffs for top navigation, which display the categories and sub categories.

Any ideas and kind souls are able to help?

I think it may be the fact that i did not activate some stuffs, however, i am at a lost of what should be done to make it appear.

EDITED:
Does it have to do with
Configuration > Catalog > Category Top Navigation > Maximal Depth (my default is set at 0)
and
Configuration > Catalog > SEO > Category URL Suffix (currently blank)

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

fupper

Total Posts:  33

Hi, Thanks!
Solved the problem via a read up on this http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/modules_reference/English/Mage_Adminhtml/catalog_category/edit/ and doing the above steps by mc0815 !

Magento Community
Magento Community

topsuppl

Total Posts:  14

I have done EVERYTHING and my navigation was working PERFECTLY FINE but now my category navigation is NOT EVEN SHOWING UP.

I WAS 98% DONE WITH MY STORE OVERALL AND NOW MY BUSINESS HAS BASICALLY BEEN RUINED BECAUSE OF MAGENTO THE “SOFTWARE FOR BEGINNERS” HAS ONCE AGAIN COMPLICATED MY PROGRESS. I AM SO SICK OF MAGENTO AND ITS PROBLEMS WITH NO ANSWERS.

IF ANYONE COULD REPLY WITH ANY POSSIBLE PROBLEM IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dynamicvision

Total Posts:  3

I was having the same EXACT issue and this thread solved it! Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

anisrehan

Total Posts:  9
Karachi, Pakistan

Ok, same problem on my local server, where Max_Category_Depth was set to 0 (resolved by changing it to 1).
Running fine on live server where Max_Category_Depth was blank.

Why, in the very first place, magento, which is supposed to be a shopping cart, sets the category navigation depth to 0??

Consider it or not, it is a bug.

Magento Community
Magento Community

The Internets

For those still having issues with this:

Each “Store” uses a “Root Category” to provide category navigation by all of the “Store Views” in that “Store.” Follow these steps to create a new root category:Since the name of Root Categories are never seen by customers, give it a name like “Root StoreName” that corresponds to the store you intend to use this Root Category.

So, with a new installation, you have a “Default Category” root category.  Do not create a new category, i.e. Widgets, and make it root.  It will not show up in navigation.  Put it under the “default category” or another root category that you created.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ggchamp

Total Posts:  153

Here you go this solved the issue for me:

Creating and Assigning Root Categories
Each “Store” uses a “Root Category” to provide category navigation by all of the “Store Views” in that “Store.” Follow these steps to create a new root category:

[Make sure you have “All Store Views” selected from the drop down menu in the top left corner of the page.
Click the “(+) Add New” button in the top left corner of the page.
In the “Parent Category” dropdown, select the first option labeled “Root”
Since the name of Root Categories are never seen by customers, give it a name like “Root StoreName” that corresponds to the store you intend to use this Root Category.
Set “Is Active” to “Yes”
Set “Is Anchor” to “No”
Click “(✓) Save Category”
In System > Manage Stores, click the Store Name which will use the new Root Category.
From the “Root Category” drop down, choose the Root Category you just created.
Click “(✓) Save Store”
Your Store should now use your new Root Category!
In the event that you cannot see your new categories, go to ‘Cache Management’ and click ‘refresh’.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BruceM

Total Posts:  16

Yep, worked for me too on 1.3.1. I also suggest wiki Manage Category

I think that with all the flexibility that we get from magento we pay for with some added complexity…

Magento Community
Magento Community

micah7

any luck with 1.3.2?

Magento Community
Magento Community

worldwisewebs

In version 1.4.0.1 things are a bit different.  You need to do the above steps, and when you have your root category and a sub category created you need to *drag* your categories into the root cat, creating a hierarchy in the category manager.  I could not find any other way to do it and it took me a while to realize those items were draggable!

Magento Community
Magento Community

noviceuser

Total Posts:  14

HI, i’ve dragged my product categories to be sub categories under the default category. But the top navigation and side product tables are still missing… Would appreciate help from any kind soul! My site is www.greatvaluebuys.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

lrdezines

Total Posts:  10

I can create as many categories as I want but they all come up under the one “page” in the navigation.  I can not create more pages in the top navigation.  How do I create more Root Categories/Navigation Options. 

Right now in my header nav I have a Home nav and Products Nav, and am only able to add categories under the Products nav.  please help.  I’ve tried the above. I just downloaded a fresh install of 1.4.2.0-beta1

Any suggestions?  thanks for your time and help Magento World

http://www.ezsaleslighting.com/index.php

Magento Community
Magento Community

developerindia

Total Posts:  58

After upgrade magento 1.4.1.1 “Visible in Nav” is not working or not show any value in Manage Category section in magento.

Please help me short out this problem.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

BluCava

Total Posts:  1

Guys,
I am relatively new to this whole thing, but I had the same problem with magento when I first installed it. Here is what solved the problem for me. Made sure that you are creating your categories as sub categories of “Default Category” otherwise they will not show up

Magento Community
Magento Community

itzik glam

Total Posts:  29

i had the same problem but i find the solution:

dont use the default categories that came with magento, please add a new top default category and start to add sub categories to him and change your theme to this new default category, it works!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Magazento

Total Posts:  155
Russia,Volgograd

you can try this menu extension for free. I think you can solve your problem with it
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/Magazento/extension/6139/magazento_megamenu

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2