Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

why oh why do I always run into permission problems (now with installing blank theme)

JJ Pagac

Total Posts:  52
Madison, WI USA

Ok… I was soo happy when magento was introduced into simple scripts.  No matter what version I install on a linux server, there permissions are always wrong… causing either the whole site to throw an error, or admin menus not working.

I installed 1.1.7 fine.  Tried doing an update though the magento interface to 1.1.8, however, the whole site once again went down.  Cool..  Delete everything, reinstall with simple scripts.

So, now I’m at 1.1.8… everything is going great, until I install the “blank theme”.  I watch the output window install a whole bunch more than just a theme… oh no… yep, my permissions are off again.  Now my menus don’t drop down anymore in the admin system.

So two questions really
1.  What steps (which files) do i need to change permissions on.
2.  Is there anyway possible that this doesn’t happen on every upgrade or add-on installation?

Really am just new and not trying to be sarcastic… however, how can I possibly let my clients use this without my help?  ie… the client sees there is an upgrade and tries to upgrade magento himself… only to have the whole site go down until I can fix all the permissions again..... More importantly until I figure out what files need permissions repaired on....

Please help!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

spstieng

Total Posts:  38

I\m having the same problem :(

It works fine when I install it on Dreamhost (ISP) server.
But when I install it on another ISP, the folder permissions are wrong, admin menu items are not clickable and so on.

It’s not uploading the 16MB file over FTP that takes time.
It’s deleting the 7000 files spread over 2000 folders that takes FOREVER!

And now I’m on my 3rd or 4th atempt :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

JJ Pagac

Madison, WI USA

I actually found the solution. First off, I would recommend bluehost.  First thing that is very important is to set your php to run as CGI.  This speeds things up, however, most importantly allows upgrades without the issues.  The main reason behind this how apache handles creating files and ownerships.  Running as CGI fixes this.

Bonus round, is that your control panel has Simple Scripts” installed.  Magento can be installed in under a minute using this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cbsteven

Total Posts:  73

I just made a dirt simple shell script I keep in my web root folder that I trigger occasionally to fix any permissions issues:

#! /bin/bash
find ./magento -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find ./magento -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

This just simply changes the permissions of all directories to 755, and files to 644. I believe this is only valid if you use suPHP.

Magento Community
Magento Community

spstieng

I do’t have shell access. But I used Filezilla FTP and changed all folders to 755.
But I also had to change different index.php files from 644 to 755. Otherwise I got an 505 error.

Looks like it’s working better now (crosing my fingers).

The problem is that when files are copied to this server, they get different file permission.
What happends when I update Magento? It will download and extract files itself. And then stuff might stop working again.
Having to sett all folders to 755 and all files to 644 (except index files) seems a bit overkill for each update?

Hre are also some solutions for this problem:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/29259/
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/4679/P60/#t27169

Magento Community
Magento Community

JJ Pagac

Madison, WI USA

Like I said earlier, it is a php issue when run as an apache module.  If you don’t use BlueHost, contact your service provider and ask them if they have PHP FASTCGI.

Otherwise, yes, every time you update, the permissions will all get foobared, and you will have to run the shell script listed below, or painstakingly change everything via ftp.

Magento Community
Magento Community

spstieng

Can I enable PHP FASTCGI in php.ini ?
Because I can customize my own php.ini if needed.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community