Magento Forum

Multiple Stores Feature

Steven Broome

Total Posts:  30

I recently posted a question about the multiple stores feature.  I asked if I could have multiple stores within one admin system and each store have a dedicated IP Address.  I was told no.  So I did some research.  There is a company called “Bright Light Media” the uses Magento.  They opperate six different stores all under one admin.  I check for myself and each of their stores have a different IP Address.  Does anyone know how this is done?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

Not a problem. Apache deals with IP addresses, Magento only cares about URL’s. Configure virtual hosts to be on different IP addresses. Follow screencasts for multi-stores and mke sure you have a big enough server.
There is no need to have different IP addresses, you can have a gaggle of addresses point to the same IP and get the virtual hosts of apache to do it for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

emmark

Total Posts:  21

Hi, I know this post is a little old but same type of topic so hope someone can help. I am wanting the same thing, multiple domains and stores, one admin.
The problem I can see that may happen is that only the main domain will be picked up and shown correctly in search engines. My hosting provider has instructed my how to add more domains to the account but they basically redirect to the main domain and magento does the rest. How do I do it so each site is picked up and displayed correctly in a search engine as its own store? I also have the problem of the status bar showing the main domain eg. ("waiting for www.site1.com) while it is loading www.site2.com,
something I dont want to happen. I was going to just register a generic domain like www.7647.com so that it meant nothing to anybody, any better ideas out there?

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

The original install domain only shows in the status and HTML source if you don’t have your web paths right. Just symbolic link the js, media and skin folders and it all becomes transparent to the outside word.

I have my Magento install on corporatedomain.tld which has no shop, just the admin. Then 6 shops with different IPs (of course that works, else you couldn’t have SSL certs on them) and none of the shops give away that they run off the corporatedomain.tld installation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

emmark

Total Posts:  21

Awsome, thats great to know that its possible to set up like that. I’ll need to do a bit of fiddling to get to work as I’m not to familiar with that part of it.
How do you find the search engines working with your different sites, is each domain on its own account on the server or as an addon domain to the main account?
My host seems the think the addon domain feature is the only way to do it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Novusweb

Total Posts:  89
Texas

We grappled with how to construct multiple stores and businesses, too.

It’s really not that hard once you understand the way Magento handles it all. And, I have to admit, it’s pretty darn elegant!

Pardon the interruption, but…

After spending weeks and months solving these issues, we’ve published a new PDF book called Managing Multiple Stores with Magento. Since we’ve invested so much into our Magento stores, we thought it might help others to provide this information in an inexpensive book.

I hope others will find it valuable, as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community