Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Need to add custom field to checkout for new order emails

Ian Kullhem

Total Posts:  12

Hey everyone,

I’m finishing up a new site using magento and am struggling with one final piece of functionality.

Basically, I need to add two custom fields (a checkbox and a text input) to the checkout process and have the values of those fields included in the new order email template. I’m having a hard time finding any concrete examples of how to do this or what files and functions to edit.

This is a time sensitive project, and any help at this point is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
--
Ian Kullhem

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Yooplaboom

Total Posts:  30

I got the same need for a project, so any tips are welcome smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ian Kullhem

Total Posts:  12

Well, what I ended up doing was tying in to the gift message (since this was actually some additional fields for that).

I actually moved the main message field into a hidden field, and then used some javascript to combine the contents of the textarea box, and the new fields I created and assigned it as the value of the message field when it’s submitted.

Not pretty, but it got the functionality that the client needed fairly easily.

Magento Community
Magento Community

szotyi

Total Posts:  153

Magento Community
Magento Community

webmunki

Total Posts:  7

Hi there

fancy posting us the example so we can see how you resolved the issue?

TIA

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community