Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Multiple Payments

Azkul

Total Posts:  17

Does Magento handle multiple payments?  For example “3 easy payments of $29.99”.

Here are the different situations that could come up revolving around this feature request:

1. Magento handles the transactions:
* Magento completes the credit card transaction with the Payment Gateway for the first month’s payment.
* Magento stores the credit card number
* A cron or other process (maybe a web form) is run each month to collect the 2nd and subsequent payments.

2. Fulfillment Company handles the multiple payments:
* Magento stores the credit card number and has a way to determine the number of payments for that product. 
* Magento would need 2 fields for the price.  One the customer sees (per payment price), and one the fulfillment company expects to see. (Usually, the export company wants the full amount passed to them - it’s also handy for omniture & Google analytics tracking so that you can track the full price)

Other considerations:
* An export would need to exist to pass the appropriate data to the fullfillment company.  Of course, the export wouldn’t be written by Magento.  It would need to be customized to specific file parameters. 

* Sometimes client skus are the same when they using a single payment vs. a multiple payment option, but sometimes these are different skus, and it largely depends on the system the fulfillment house is using.  For this to work, Magento would need some way to have 2 different SKUs for each product.  The one the customer sees and the one the fulfillment company sees. 

For example:  A widget has the sku AWIG001-1 for 1 payment, and AWIG001-3 for the 3 payment option when sending the order to fullfillment house A.  However, the client changes to a different company, who needs the SKUs sent as AWIG001 and the “numpymnts” column in their export to reflect 1 or 3 depending on which product is being sold.

Please let me know if this exists, is on the road map, or if I need to mod Magento to make it work (and if the latter, if you could give me some pointers as to where you’d mod it, that would be very helpful).

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

@Azkul - Welcome to the community. The answer is the latter (mod it).

Magento Community
Magento Community

Azkul

Thanks.  That’s what I figured.  I haven’t found a solution out of the box that handles multi-payments yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

twistie

Total Posts:  3

I’m rather surprised about this as well. I need the exact same feature, the ability to do payments on a monthly basis.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@twistie: I’m glad you feel surprised.
I think it means that you value other features and accomplishments of Magento so high, that you have expected to see all possible enterprise level features in the beta release smile

If you are talking about this thread: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/2463/ , I do not think you need multiple payments, but rather multiple captures on same payment, which should be available with first stable Magento release.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Azkul

@Moshe - In the thread, 2463, that you’ve posted above, you wrote:

---
In the stable version we should have multiple invoices per order.
Which means you could capture partial amounts few times on same credit card.
---

Does this mean that if I handle credit card processing directly from Magento, that I could set it up to bill a customer monthly?

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

For anyone wanting to do monthly billing, I would suggest using Authorize.net’s Customer Information Manager: http://www.authorize.net/solutions/merchantsolutions/merchantservices/cim/
I really don’t think it’s a good idea to store any type of payment information on your own server for any reason.  The risk’s are just too high.  Obviously you will have to be an Authorize.net customer to use CIM, so it’s not for everyone.  But I think it’s a good solution for those that can use it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

Azkul - What Moshe is talking about is the ability for a customer to buy say 12 months of a subscription. The admin can then invoice each issue at a time that will capture the amount of the one subscription. this is not a perfect solution for recurring payment since it will have to be handled manually by the admin.

I hope that after the first release we or the community will add such a module to Magento

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community