Does Magento handle multiple payments? For example “3 easy payments of $29.99”.
Here are the different situations that could come up revolving around this feature request:
1. Magento handles the transactions:
* Magento completes the credit card transaction with the Payment Gateway for the first month’s payment.
* Magento stores the credit card number
* A cron or other process (maybe a web form) is run each month to collect the 2nd and subsequent payments.
2. Fulfillment Company handles the multiple payments:
* Magento stores the credit card number and has a way to determine the number of payments for that product.
* Magento would need 2 fields for the price. One the customer sees (per payment price), and one the fulfillment company expects to see. (Usually, the export company wants the full amount passed to them - it’s also handy for omniture & Google analytics tracking so that you can track the full price)
* An export would need to exist to pass the appropriate data to the fullfillment company. Of course, the export wouldn’t be written by Magento. It would need to be customized to specific file parameters.
* Sometimes client skus are the same when they using a single payment vs. a multiple payment option, but sometimes these are different skus, and it largely depends on the system the fulfillment house is using. For this to work, Magento would need some way to have 2 different SKUs for each product. The one the customer sees and the one the fulfillment company sees.
For example: A widget has the sku AWIG001-1 for 1 payment, and AWIG001-3 for the 3 payment option when sending the order to fullfillment house A. However, the client changes to a different company, who needs the SKUs sent as AWIG001 and the “numpymnts” column in their export to reflect 1 or 3 depending on which product is being sold.
Please let me know if this exists, is on the road map, or if I need to mod Magento to make it work (and if the latter, if you could give me some pointers as to where you’d mod it, that would be very helpful).