Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to upgrade from 1.5.1.0 to 1.6 on a wamp installation

apsolar

Total Posts:  9

Hello Experts,

I have now spent 5 days trying to follow all the recommended links and I can’t even get started. I am developing my website using a wamp setup on windows 7 pc.

I dont see Mage_All_Latest package under package entension in the Connect Manager. So upgrading via connect manager is not an option.

I have installed cygwin and copssh to get a bash shell and tried following these links
http://www.expertmagentodevelopers.com/blog/how-to-upgrade-from-magento-1-5-1-to-magento-1-6-0/
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/magento_1.5_to_1.6_upgrade
There are similar links with the same steps.

I can’t get past ./mage mage-setup step
first i got this error
exec: php: command not found
Then I opened ‘mage’ file and specified the path of php exe.
Now the new error is
$ ./mage mage-setup
Running initial setup…
Could not open input file: /cygdrive/c/wamp/www/magento/downloader/mage.php

I am clueless. I have been a developer for 5 years and have managed to teach myself joomla, drupal, wordpress. All using wamp setup on my windows machine. Magento just beats me. I wish there was more information for windows users and things were documented properly.

Any help to get me going would be appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

You can download the full version from the Magento website and copy all the files into your install folder. Then run the upgrade! Make sure you set your permissions to EVERYONE - FULL CONTROL

Magento Community
Magento Community

apsolar

Hello Brent,

Could you provide more information. There is no install folder in my current magento 1.5.1.0 installation. So where do i copy the full package files?
And how do i run the upgrade?
Is there a document on magento wiki outlining the steps?

thank you

Magento Community
Magento Community

angelleye

Total Posts:  45
Kansas City, MO

I’m running into the same problem on Linux trying to update via SSH. 

I run ./mage install magento-core Mage_All_Latest

It returns a message that says Please initialize Magento Connect installer by running:  ./mage mage-setup

So I do so and I get the same errors the OP is getting.

So now I’m stuck.  I’m a little bit confused about he response here, too.  Wouldn’t setting permissions to EVERYONE be insecure after it’s done?  Do you need to set something back later?

Magento Community
Magento Community

apsolar

Going by the advice, I attempted upgrading using the full package. I did backup the files and database.
Then I unzipped the latest full package 1.6 and copied its entire contents to my current magento installation.
After overwriting thousands of files, I tried opening the homepage and it didn’t work. I waited 30 minutes on the loading screen just to see if it was upgrading, but no cpu usage so I inferred nothing was happening.

Restored the old installation.

I really need basic instructions. A bit more than just upload all the files to the installs folder.
Can anybody help me?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

Check out this WIKI

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/manual_upgrade_using_fresh_install_and_original_database

Magento Community
Magento Community

apsolar

Thanks Brent,

I read the link and I am going to attempt that. But it doesn’t sound like I am upgrading my current installation.
It seems like I will be installating a second magento instance(1.6 version in this case) from scratch and then manually porting all my extension and catalog from the current instance.

Is this really what I need to do every time to upgrade? Then its not an upgrade but a manual hack. Imagine a website with heaps of extensions, it would be a nightmare porting each extension.

Now I really want to run the mage setup, as although I can follow the document, it is not what I want to achieve in this evaluation process.

Any more pointers to documents that can be followed by a windows user, running wamp/xammp, to upgrade magento via ssh.

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

apsolar

Ok,

I have finally managed to upgrade from magento 1.5.1.0 to 1.6.0.0 on my wamp installation. Thanks to some other forum threads.

This post is for users running magento on a wamp/xampp installation.

Prerequisite: bash shell (I have used cygwin)
Cygwin or Copssh are failry easy to install on a windows pc. You don\’t need to go all the way to setup a local ssh server if you are running the upgrade on the machine that runs the wamp server.

Useful links, if you have to setup a ssh server:
http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html
http://www.geek-republic.com/2009/02/17/securing-windows-remote-desktop-with-copssh/

Note: All paths are relevant to my PC. They can be different on your PC.
Upgrading Magento 1.5.10 to 1.6.0.0

1. Login on windows with a user that has admin credential.

2. Backup your website database. Backup the current magento instance (the entire directory)

3. Clear all cache and sessions. You can do this by deleting all contents of c:/wamp/www/magento/var/cahce and c:/wamp/www/magento/var/session directories.

4. Download the full magento package (magento-1.6.0.0.zip).

5. Copy the zip file to the root of your current magento installation directory.

6. Unzip the package in the root directory. All the file will be extracted to a subdirectory called magento.

7. Now run the bash shell.(Cygwin bash shell in my case)

8. Navigate to the current magento instance root directory.
The path in my case was “/cygdrive/c/wamp/www/magento”

9. Enter the extracted directory from bash shell

user@computername /cygdrive/c/wamp/www/magento
cd magento

user
@computername /cygdrive/c/wamp/www/magento/magento
_

10. Now copy the new files back to the magento root directory. This command can take 30seconds to a few minutes depending on your PC.

user@computername /cygdrive/c/wamp/www/magento/magento
cp -rf * ../.

11. Also copy the .htaccess file

cp .htaccess ../.

12. Now cleanup the downloaded files including the zip/tar.gz/tar.bz2 (.zip in my case):

cd ../
user@computername /cygdrive/c/wamp/www/magento
rm -rf magento

user
@computername /cygdrive/c/wamp/www/magento
rm magento-1.6.0.0.zip

13. Finally, open the site’s homepage in your browser. http://localhost/magento. This will kick start the upgrade. Don’t try to refresh the page now, have some patience. It can take anywhere from 5minutes to 30 minutes(or maybe even more). It took 20 minutes on my computer. When you get the home page, login to the admin interface and verify the footer displays the new version \"Magento ver. 1.6.0.0\”.

Post installation:
Depending on the extensions you have installed, not all of them may work and you will have to work on them individually.

Reference to forum threads that help me:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/242215/P120/#t345514
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/219570/P30/#t301770

Phew.. It has taken me 10 days to achieve this. Hope this helps others.
Go opensource smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

apsolar

Hello Tony,

It looks like you didn’t read my last post. I did a manual upgrade.
Magento Connect was nowhere in picture.
Unless this is a promotion for the company you used wink, then I can understand.

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shaun Ohagan

Total Posts:  34
UK

For the benefit of anyone coming to this thread with the OP issue - Could not open input file: /cygdrive/c/d....

It seems just on basic investigation that the shell script is failing to execute correctly under cygwin bash/sh.  The command line

$ ./mage mage-setup . 

should result in . (current dir) being assigned the MAGE_ROOT_DIR but it doesn’t seem to happen.  Rather than waste time trying to understand why I just hacked the final command and replaced $MAGE_ROOT_DIR with ./downloader and it then runs.

exec $PHP -C -q $INCARG -d output_buffering=1 -d variables_order=EGPCS \
-d open_basedir="” -d safe_mode=0 -d register_argc_argv="On" \
-d auto_prepend_file="” -d auto_append_file="” \
./downloader/$MAGE_PHP_SCRIPT “$@”

The days are long gone where I’ll spend time enjoying debugging shell scripts grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

kaplievabell

Total Posts:  2

Shaun, thanks! Your solution was the only one that worked for me, and I have tried everything else available on the subject for the last 2 days.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community