Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Version 1.6: Bulk import images fail

wychee

Total Posts:  4

Hi

I am new to Magento, and I have version 1.6 installed.

I am trying to bulk import my products with images into my webstore.

Problem was, after running System -> Import -> Products, the import seemed successful (with message \"Import successfully done..\” appeared), but I only got the products WITHOUT the image displayed.

In my import csv file, under \’media_gallery\’ column, I have put /media/import.
Separately i have also uploaded the image from my PC into this folder.

Did anyone encounter this problem? What did I do wrong here?

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

techno0270

Total Posts:  2

The important image fields in your CSV file are image, small_image & thumbnail.  If you have imported (ftp) your files to media/import then your image, small_image & thumbnail fields should reference their respective image file as such: /image1.jpg.

Magento Community
Magento Community

techno0270

So, the best thing for you to do is to create a few sample products manually, including uploading images.  Then, do a export.  The resulting csv catalog file will show you all the required fields.

Here is the problem I have with the entire csv product upload process.

I have over 5000 products so for me it makes sense to do it this way, but there is a catch:

I have created my csv template by first creating dummy products and exporting the catalog.  Beautiful!
I populated that CSV, including image names and uploaded my products.  Fantastic!
I uploaded all images to /media/import.  A single image by the way.  Mage takes care of image size.  Bravo!

I load up my store and sure enough, all images are there.  So, what\\\’s wrong?

I then logged into the admin panel to move a product from one category to another and hit save. Now my image for that product does not display in my store.  The problem is the way the images were associated with the product.  Admin Panel says there is no image, even though you can see the image in your store.  This means that any change made in the admin panel will result in a lost image file. Again, admin panel says No Image and you are confirming that by hitting save.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this without entering 5000 products manually?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lmcgee98

and guess what ... i have exactly the same issue

have gone through the usual issues of checking permissions on media folders

the images are correctly placed in media/catalog/product but are not registered in the admin

they show up fine in the main website but as soon as you make a change the image disappears

frantically trying to find a solution but would appreciate anyone’s input

regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

joeshelton1020

Total Posts:  1

I encountered this problem in a previous version of Magento when when doing a manual (straight MySQL code) import of products.  The issue was that image info needs to be accurate in two main areas of the DB.  Those tables being catalog_product_entity_varchar and the catalog_product_entity_media_gallery collection of tables.

I saw very similar behavior to what you are describing when, mistakenly, I was not inserting anything into the media tables.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wychee

Total Posts:  4

Hi techno0270,

Thanks for the advice. I did what was been advised:

1. I created a sample product and exported it out to a .csv file

2. With this cvs file, I put in my image names under these 3 fields: the image, small_image,thumbnail
Question: I saw another column “_media_image” column. What do i do with this column? The exported value shows the image filename as well. Can I ignore this?

3. I changed the SKU to a new one to simulate the population of a new product.

4. I uploaded the image file, ftp it to /media/import

5. Under Magento system->import, I choose
Entity type: Products
Import Behaviour: Append Complex Data

Lastly, I clicked ‘Check Data’ and was thrown this message:

Required attribute ‘media_gallery’ has an empty value in rows: 1
File is totally invalid. Please fix errors and re-upload fileChecked rows: 1, checked entities: 1, invalid rows: 1, total errors: 1.

I changed the new SKU back to an existing SKU (of a product currently in the website) and the above error was gone!

Anyone can tell me what is the problem cause?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BigCityShelts

Total Posts:  15
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

I’m guessing that the _media_image column is exactly what would fix your problem.  Try listing all the image filenames for each product there (as well as in image, thumbnail, etc.).  I’m not sure what the format is for multiple images.  But, if you export a product with multiple images that was successfully saved through Magento’s admin, the export .csv would probably give you an example.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BigCityShelts

Total Posts:  15
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Just tried my first 1.6 import and had the same problem.  Couldn’t get the _media_gallery CSV column working.  But, here’s an article with a SQL script fix:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/153/importing_product_images_with_csv

Magento Community
Magento Community

VSC_JOHN

Total Posts:  6

I am working on getting this to work too on a test site for I make the big plunge into uploading our catalog and images in bulk to the live site.

I am looking via FTP at my media folder and I don’t see an imports folder.  Do I need to create this?

I am on 1.6 BTW.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RaCo2

Total Posts:  1

Make sure that :

1. you copy the image files in ‘ your_magento_site/media/import ‘
2. in your .CSV file the image pahts are defined like this /yourimagename.jpg or whatever , using that / in front of the filename
3. import using Import / Export in Admin -> System
4. reindex all necesary data from System -> Index Management
5. clear cache if you have it turned on from System -> Cache Management

This worked for me also when I used 1.4 so I hope it is not a bug it just requires specific attention.

Best regards,
R.

Magento Community
Magento Community

inwebservices

Total Posts:  29

We have found the following works in the CSV and is likely to be missing from the upgrades:

small_image,thumbnail,image,_media_attribute_id,_media_image,_media_is_disabled
“a000001.jpg”,"a000001.jpg”,"a000001.jpg”,82,"a000001.jpg",0

The small_image, thumbnail, image are used for the frontend and media is required for the backend.  You need to have the media_attribute_id otherwise the import fails.  We are not sure if this is a bug or by design however it solves the problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nancyshneider

Total Posts:  10

hi, try to use this service. they have a great feature of assisted import that is free these days.
I imported all my products with images and attributes, no problems, and, what’s important, it’s really fast
maybe it will help you if the issue is not in csv

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

Total Posts:  340

inwebservices - 18 January 2012 11:08 PM

We have found the following works in the CSV and is likely to be missing from the upgrades:

small_image,thumbnail,image,_media_attribute_id,_media_image,_media_is_disabled
“a000001.jpg”,"a000001.jpg”,"a000001.jpg”,82,"a000001.jpg",0

The small_image, thumbnail, image are used for the frontend and media is required for the backend.  You need to have the media_attribute_id otherwise the import fails.  We are not sure if this is a bug or by design however it solves the problem.

Wow thanks!!  This solved it for me (Magento 1.6.1).  I also had to add ‘media_gallery’ = inner.
Front end AND back end is showing up!

Typical Magento undocumented sloppiness - we are left to poke around randomly in the hopes of getting the beast to work.
Either way, the new import functionality is now working, full speed ahead!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Cliff88

I have no problem to import the main image and one small image under the main image (called gallery image), but i can\’t import 3 or more images for one product.
it\’s very unclear for each items\’ meaning in that CSV file. Magento just do not explain, no relevant documents. i searched every where, just found an explain document for several years ago old version Magento. But for version 1.62, there a lot new items added into the CSV file. no introduction for that. just let users to try hundreds time to find out what \’s the meaning and for what usage item by item, very unefficiently.
i am a zen cart store owner, try to transfer to Magento, for my point of view, to review a shopping cart system, the most important is it\’s bulk import system, especially, import multi images in bulk ways. i totally do not understand why Magento make this so complex, as in zen cart, there are only one column for image import, the system will automatic generate thumbnail image, small image, gallery images, you just need type in one line in one column. but magento, there are image column, thumbnail column, small column, gallery column, and another image_gallery column, and media_image column, so confused, and no official explanation of these items.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Cliff88

could someone help to explain the difference between \"gallery\" and \"media_gallery\"? how to use them?
and, what\’s the function for column \"media_image\"? i put \"/image1.jpg\" under this column, after import csv file, this image1.jpg shows below main image as a additional image for gallery image. seems it works to import gallery image? but just can only import one image for gallery image. i put \"/image1.jpg;/image2.jpg;/image3.jpg\" under \"gallery\" or \"media_gallery\", do not work.
Now, i use \"image\" column to import main image, and \"media_image\" column to import one additional image, there are no way to import the third image, so why there are \"gallery\" and \"media_gallery\" in the column as they do not work? can someone help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Norah1975

Total Posts:  3

here is how i did that: $_product->getMediaGalleryImages()->getItemByColumnValue(’label’, ‘LABEL_NAME’)->getUrl();
Hope that helps you! But I had to do that four or five times, cause not all the images appeared.
After that i decided to use automated import services. The big plus is that they are error-free and easy to use. I use this one. it is paid. But it’s worth it)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community