Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Add to cart timeouts, redirects to index.php

AdrianC

Total Posts:  10

Hi

We too have been having this similar problem with a few of our customers.

We mananged to track a few customers having the problem and managed to find their session file from /var/session. All of them had the entry “yplus 5.3.02b” “FunWebProducts” & “YPC 3.2.0” in the user agent section. Also all the ones we have had trouble with have been BTInternet customers.

Putting two and two together we were wondering if the common thing was that these customers installed the IE browser supplied by BT and that it may have some sort of cookie blocker installed with it that is causing the problems for us all.

I have not been able to find any info out about these plugins so I have no idea what it is or what it is meant to do. My reason for this conclusion is that one of our customers said he clicked a button to do with “pop-ups” and all of a sudden it worked.

This maybe a red herring but if anyone else can confirm similar findings then a solution may be more forthcoming.

Regards
Adrian
golfgarb.co.uk

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

EmJaInteractive

Total Posts:  121
Charlotte, NC USA

I am running 1.1.8 Magento and have exact same problem with people e-mail and calling me daily. This was a site I just went live with 2 days ago and already sales are cut in half and customers complaining!

Can this be fixed or do we cut our losses and go back to the old?

I’ve tried a bunch of things including the session validation to no and the cookie lifetime to 72000…

Currently my “Cookie Domain” is emtpy… this the way it is suppose to be?

Also my Cookie Path is empty, is this correct?

If there is a fix I wouldn’t mind doing it, but if there is no “sure fire” fix then there is no way to run a decent size business off Magento at this time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

Total Posts:  340

Where were the bug reports for this bug?
Varien, you have received a ton of leads as to the problem of this bug. It is high time it was resolved. $9000 per year for a cart that you can not check out with is deplorable.

Magento Community
Magento Community

EmJaInteractive

Total Posts:  121
Charlotte, NC USA

Hey, whoever is having this problem with the “checkout cart items being lost when proceed to checkout”.... what server are you using?

Someone mentioned that this could potentially be a server issue?  Would this be credible at all?

If so, what sever are you using?

I am using Host Gator.

Magento Community
Magento Community

quirkybird

Total Posts:  35

Here’s how to add the static block to the empty cart page:

In the file:

/app/design/frontend/default/<TEMPLATE NAME>/template/checkout/cart/noItems.phtml

add the following code:

<?php echo $this->getLayout()->createBlock('cms/block')->setBlockId('empty_cart_message')->toHtml() ?>

And make sure the static block “empty_cart_message” exists.

arcarocket: I would definitely suggest upgrading to start...There have been so many fixes and additions since then it might take care some of your problems. Your cookies domain and path should be empty. For us, it’s pretty consistently a cookies error on the browser being used by the customer. Adding the instructions on how to enable cookies has almost stopped the error reports for us.

Magento Community
Magento Community

malpayne

Total Posts:  15

After having my site in production for 2 1/2 months, I heard about this issue from one of our salespeople. He couldn’t go to any other page but the home page and any attempt to navigate to other pages redirected him back to the home page. He had been working for us for a little more than a month and just started having the problem without any changes on his laptop. He has Windows Vista and uses Internet Explorer.

I thought that maybe it was an IE issue, so I installed Firefox and experienced he exact same same behaviour. It was limited to his computer and no one else in the company was having the same issue. The only difference that I could think of was that he was using a Sprint moble broadband card and that maybe they were causing the issue on their end.

The solution for this particular computer was to change the Validate REMOTE_ADDR setting to NO (System-->Configuration-->Web-->Session Validation Settings.

Makes me wonder just how many people were having the same problem and we never heard about it!

Magento Community
Magento Community

malpayne

Total Posts:  15

By the way, with version 1.3.1.1, ALL of the session validation settings are turned off by default.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

Yeah I noticed that too about 1.3.1.1. Still a bodge as Magento falls over when cookies are disabled amongst other things reported in this post.
Session management has bugs in magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pete_uk

Total Posts:  33

I have seen mentioned in another thread that increasing the memory that scripts can use in php.ini solves a lot of issues.  We are going to try it today, i’ll let you know how we get on.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pete_uk

Total Posts:  33

It’s also worth noting that the drop down category menu causes images, add to cart and proceed to checkout buttons to disapear in IE8.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ben Marks
Guru

Total Posts:  452
Charleston, SC

This remains an issue for some of our 1.3.x clients as well.  The scary thing of course is that probably most users never contact the site - they just go to a competitor.

After doing some testing with high security setting in IE6-8, I found that 8 in high security mode disables JS, which of course is required for Magento.  We will be directly contacting end users experiencing this issue, and we will be trying to find a common denominator.

A simple thing to do, assuming that some users will have cookies and/or javascript disabled, is to display a warning to users about cookies if they have them disabled:

<?php if(!$this->getRequest()->getCookie('frontend')): ?>

<div class="no-cookie">

You do not have cookies enabledYou MUST have cookies enabled to use this site. (etc etc)
    </
div>
<?php endif; ?>

For no-javascript warning we use a <noscript /> block.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

Could it be!?
http://demo.magentocommerce.com/enable-cookies

Play around with your cookie settings and let us know when this page is thrown up..
I for one am using quirkybird’s excellent (hacky) solution until this is proven as core functionality.

Magento Community
Magento Community

modison

Total Posts:  3

After having my site in production for 2 1/2 months, I heard about this issue from one of our salespeople. He couldn’t go to any other page but the home page and any attempt to navigate to other pages redirected him back to the home page. He had been working for us for a little more than a month and just started having the problem without any changes on his laptop. He has Windows Vista and uses Internet Explorer.I thought that maybe it was an IE issue, so I installed Firefox and experienced he exact same same behaviour. It was limited to his computer and no one else in the company was having the same issue. The only difference that I could think of was that he was using a Sprint moble broadband card and that maybe they were causing the issue on their end.The solution for this particular computer was to change the Validate REMOTE_ADDR setting to NO (System-->Configuration-->Web-->Session Validation Settings.Makes me wonder just how many people were having the same problem and we never heard about it!

Magento Community
Magento Community

janky123

Total Posts:  1

I’m also experiencing this bug on Firefox 3.5.2 on MacOSX 10.6. When I try to put an item in the basket I get redirected to the “enable ur cookies” page. Cookies are enabled of course
Safari 4.0.3 (6531.9) is working fine no problems at all.

Magento version 1.3.2.3

Magento Community
Magento Community

sweety

Total Posts:  1

click here to know more

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community