Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Add to cart timeouts, redirects to index.php

DrBillNye

Total Posts:  96
Boulder, CO

agreed, and you can replicate a similar issue with amazon (if you disable cookies) you can shop it but as soon as you go to checkout, it lets you know you have to enable cookies to proceed.  This would be a great fix for now, because as is, all they see is an empty cart, get frustrated, and leave.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ddeppner

Total Posts:  23

So far I’ve had several dozen users report problems with the onepage checkout process.  In every case, I’ve traced the problem back to an issue other than Javascript or Cookies being turned off.  I’ve also opened bug reports on every issue I discovered and commented on bug reports others opened to provide extra documentation.  Your probably probably isn’t with IE security settings.  Most users don’t even know how to change them.

Issues I have identified among my users:

IE6 users unable to get past Billing Address screen due to problem w/ an HTTP POST over an SSL connection and IE incorrectly trying to use keepalive on the connection.  This may have impacted some IE7 users as well--I didn’t verify for certain.

Users of old browsers (IE5, FF1, NN7 & NN8) unable to select a state or province in any address due to javascript issues w/ old browsers.  Older versions of Safari don’t work w/ onepage checkout--no clue why.

The issue with User Agent strings changing between user initiated requests and AJAX requests (specifically affects Yahoo/AT&T;/Prodigy/SBCGlobal users with Yahoo Plus software and Yahoo Parental Controls on and MSN 9.0 software users).

All session validation checks need to be turned off in Magento.  Each one will interfere with *SOME* legitimate users and it’s enough to matter and be noticed on a high volume site.  I think they should be taken out of the codebase entirely given the severe issues they create and the difficulty debugging them.

There are probably a couple more issues that I can’t remember right now that we had to do something to work around.

Magento Community
Magento Community

purplemine

Total Posts:  143
London

I completely agree, I have set up a new shop using Magento and have had several complaints that the site is broken.  I am working on some more for new clients, but am seriously considering NOT using Magento if this is not resolved very quickly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fredc

Total Posts:  10
Dublin Ireland

It seems there are many issues reported in the forums about cart problems and sites loosing customers from the cart to the final payment. This is strange to me, a non technical person, when systems like Magnento are called Shopping Cart Systems. Yet Magento is obviously extremely feature rich but what about the shopping cart itself.

Before I opted for Magento I was told that Open Source systems like Magento had developers reporting and fixing issues and adding to the product. What went wrong? where are you guys?

I am having such a problem with my site and an anxious for a solution

I get customers emailing me to say I clicked “Add to Cart” and I got an empty cart. Perhaps this only happens 20% to 30% of our would be customers but it is painful.

Anyone found a real solution to this problem yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevecontact

Total Posts:  10

i too was having this problem. We had a feedback form on our site. And at first someone wrote in to say
our site was broken, i tested immediately and thought perhaps its jus a hoax as its working fine for me.

But when we start receiving more and more customers writing in, we know its a major problem. Its killing
our sales, these are people who want to buy and cannot, are frustrated then leave the site. Whats the good
of a shopping cart with all the 1 page checkout, when you can’t even keep customer’s items in the
shopping cart or could not allow them to checkout?

If this is not resolved soon, i really have to consider an alternative to magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

Total Posts:  340

yo check what I found;
http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/984/auit-js-cookies-browser-check

Let me know how you get on!

Magento Community
Magento Community

amontobin

Total Posts:  7

This bug is a shame.  I’ll try the plugin if the other hack does not work out. 

@alex.bsc Thanks! Good Find!

Magento Community
Magento Community

quirkybird

Total Posts:  35

Man, this really sucks. We had customers unable to order from our stores in 1.2.1.2 - did the validation and cookie updates, as well as placing classic coding into the submit button and they seem to be fixed. However we have a client on 1.3.1 and all of the errors are back with a vengeance. We’re getting the error with people being redirected to the home page when they try to order as well as the empty cart error when they try to add an item to their cart.

This is a gigantic problem. The most frustrating thing, as I’m sure most of you have encountered, none of us can recreate the error....

UNTIL NOW. Oh my gosh, our programmer and I are investigating this and, when IE security settings are set to High, the cart errors. I know this has been discussed here, but wow what a relief to at least be able to recreate it.

Our fix (if you want to call it that) is to insert a static block into the empty cart page that the client can edit to get the users to be sure to check their IE security settings.

Is this the root of the problem? It would explain a lot, considering that the error is such a ghost and most of us (since we don’t use IE at such high security) can’t recreate it...that it would be a problem with the security settings of the user. And is the only solution to do as on Amazon and remind the user to adjust their browser settings?

Sigh. What a huge, exhausting use of time this error is. IE is the devil’s playground.

Magento Community
Magento Community

quirkybird

Just for reference, this is what ours looks like:

http://www.emtannerdesigns.com/checkout/cart/index/

I added instructions for each of the major browsers on how to enable cookies.

Hopefully this helps!! I’ll keep you guys posted if this fixes some of our issues.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

hi quirkbird

thanks for the link.

great looking site btw

brendan

Magento Community
Magento Community

quirkybird

Thanks Brendan!

So the message we posted on Em Tanner’s site worked for the most part, we’ve had very few complaints of errors since. This won’t work for the redirect to home page redirect though. Some sort of pop up alert to enable cookies would be a welcome addition to this system, it’s had us all pulling our hair out.

Has the browser cookie enabling fix worked for anyone else?

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

yeah, nice site. what files need to be modded to get this text from the cms blocks? what code is added?
thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

quirkybird

we installed the static block directly into the empty cart page, there’s an include code you can use to plug it in. I’m the artsy one, our programmer Daniel would have more insight...I’ll get the info from him!

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

and actually, when on earth is this rediculous, crucial, fatal, critical CART BUG for a shopping cart piece of software going to get fixed at long last?
can someone give me the link to the bug report?

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

quirkybird: didn’t see the post there. brilliant, if you could do that we would be much obliged. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community