I just had another customer confirm this bug. I have disabled all session validation, although RSS is enabled.
I am losing many sales because of this! Please get it resolved as this is no good for a shopping cart!
I also have ‘add store to url’ enabled.
I can confirm that one of my sites’ customers is having this same issue. They can add an item to the cart but trying to proceed to the checkout sends them to the home page and they lose their cart. They’re using IE. Not sure what version.
My client’s site is having a similar problem on 1.1.7: some clients can’t log in and are redirected to the Home Page. Others can log in but get kicked to the home page when trying to add to the cart. I’ve compiled the information for all of the reported problem accounts and can’t find a common thread. It’s happening from different places around the world and happening on a variety of systems and browsers.
The biggest complainers are AOL and MSN, so I initially thought it was a session issue just affecting them, though we’ve had several other non-AOL/non-MSN users with the same problem.
This is a serious concern and we’re are anxiously awaiting a patch!!!
Everyone, as this is a serious issue, I’ve done a search in the bug tracker and from my search, Varien aren’t taking it seriously. In fact, only two people have submitted bugs so the community doesn’t seem to be taking it seriously either.
I’ve had some complaints of this same issue, and here is what I tried. In your admin go to System --> Configuration --> Web. Set all session validation settings to No. I’m still not 100% sure this has fixed it but I’m hoping more people can test to see if that solves the problem for now.
smartplugsdesign: Did you try the ‘fix’ I mention in the previous post. I’m not 100% sure this fixes it which is why I’m hoping to get a larger base testing it so we can determine if it does indeed fix the problem. My store doesn’t get enough traffic to work as a good test environment.
I just reset that and sent an email to a customer to see if it will make a difference. It’s certainly not a long-term solution, but it could lead us to isolating the issue. I’ll post a message if I hear anything encouraging.
Another day another complaint from a customer that they could not place an order on the site.
Varien, with 70% of my customers using IE, I’d have to stress that this bug is BEYOND CRITICAL for a web store!!!
Here are some potential solutions you all should try until there is a permanent fix for this:
1. Verify that the time and date on your server is correct. Run the command `date` in Shell or contact your Server provider
2. Increase the “Cookie Lifetime” in “System -> Web” from the default 3600 (1 hour) to 86400 (24 hours)
3. Verify that the time and date on your computer isnt totally wrong
4. Make sure you are using a Magento-template that supports your version of Magento
If none of the above tips works out, here’s a few extra-tips:
1. I’ve tested the latest Safari 4 browser the last few days and encountered a VERY strange default setting in it - Cookies were disabled! So, enabling this will also solve this kinds of problems. If Safari doesnt Enable it by default we’d need to write a little workaround and informing the Safari-customers to enable cookies (I dont think Varien will customize Magento to work without cookies)
2. Try turning of all the four “Validation Cookie Settings” in “System -> Web”
3. Refresh Cache in Magento Admin and also delete the cache in your browser
If you’ve followed all the steps above Magento should work fine in Firefox 3, IE7 and Safari. Let me know if now and I’ll check it out in more details.
Thanks for the advice, MagentoJoe. That’s really helpful.
Just wanted to say that I encountered this problem and turned the Session Validation Settings to NO and the issue has not reoccured since. Users that previously had this issue were not able to reproduce the error. Hope this info helps.