Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Site backup problem - var/session files generated to often

De_Tomaso

Total Posts:  16

As my title for this topic suggests I have a problem with backup of my site. I am using Direct Admin control panel and I am unable to make a backup, since files are generated in var/session folder in 5s interval. I have about 150 visits of site a day so I think that files are being generated because of something else and not visitors.

I will appreciate any help about the settings I can make that session files will not be generated at such a fast pace.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Your backup solution should offer a way to exclude folders from its backup catalog.

Exclude var/session/, var/tmp/, var/cache/, media/tmp/ and media/catalog/product/cache/

cPanel backup solutions might have the file that contains the exclusions owned by root, see your hosting provider for help adding the exclusions.

Preventing session files from being created during your backup would require a Error 503 suspension of system activity by putting your system in maintenance mode during the backup operation. 1.4.x.x versions can be put into maintenance mode by creating a file called maintenance.flag in the Magento root directory.

Excluding directories from backup will allow you to back up at any time without shutting down your site. Going into maintenance mode means your site is down during the duration of the backup, not a very good solution on a busy site unless you can automate the whole thing to happen around 11:00 pm store local time when it won’t interfere with Magento’s scheduled maintenance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

De_Tomaso

Total Posts:  16

Thank you very much about all this information. I will try to exclude mentioned files from my backup.

On the other hand I would like to ask if someone hay an idea why session files are generated so quickly. First couple of months I didn’t it was one an hour or something like that, now they are generated every 2 seconds. I am even afraid that something will happen with the server if this continues.

Anyone hay any idea what I could do?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

In your admin panel, go into your Online Customers, sort by IP address and look for multiple entries from single addresses. It could be as simple as search engine indexing. This is very common behavior when they start scanning your site.

Worse case scenario is web site scrapers or scripted attacks. You can go into Online Customers and see 200-2000 entries in the report when one of these hits you. It also bloats the various log files way out of proportion as well as overwhelming your MySQL connection limit.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community