Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

I think its a Pear Install Error

leveleight

Total Posts:  11

Sorry for the huge post, but Ive had all my php mysql errors corrected on the server itself, but now im receiving an error on Preferred stability: BETA

error msg

Downloading and installing Magento, please wait…

Attempting to discover channel “pear"…
unknown channel “pear” in “pear/PEAR-stable”
invalid package name/package file “pear/PEAR-stable”
Cannot initialize ‘pear/PEAR-stable’, invalid or missing package file
Attempting to discover channel “connect.magentocommerce.com/core"…
downloading channel.xml ...
Starting to download channel.xml (687 bytes)
....done: 687 bytes
Auto-discovered channel “connect.magentocommerce.com/core”, alias “connect.magentocommerce.com/core”, adding to registry
unknown channel “connect.magentocommerce.com/core” in “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_Pear_Helpers”
invalid package name/package file “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_Pear_Helpers”
Cannot initialize ‘connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_Pear_Helpers’, invalid or missing package file
...done: 687 bytes
Auto-discovered channel “connect.magentocommerce.com/core”, alias “connect.magentocommerce.com/core”, adding to registry
unknown channel “connect.magentocommerce.com/core” in “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_ZF”
invalid package name/package file “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_ZF”
Cannot initialize ‘connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_ZF’, invalid or missing package file
unknown channel “connect.magentocommerce.com/core” in “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Varien”
invalid package name/package file “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Varien”
Cannot initialize ‘connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Varien’, invalid or missing package file
unknown channel “connect.magentocommerce.com/core” in “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_All”
invalid package name/package file “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_All”
Cannot initialize ‘connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_All’, invalid or missing package file
unknown channel “connect.magentocommerce.com/core” in “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Frontend_Default”
invalid package name/package file “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Frontend_Default”
Cannot initialize ‘connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Frontend_Default’, invalid or missing package file
unknown channel “connect.magentocommerce.com/core” in “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Adminhtml_Default”
invalid package name/package file “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Adminhtml_Default”
Cannot initialize ‘connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Adminhtml_Default’, invalid or missing package file
unknown channel “connect.magentocommerce.com/core” in “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Install_Default”
invalid package name/package file “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Install_Default”
Cannot initialize ‘connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Install_Default’, invalid or missing package file
Array
(
[data] => Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[0] => Package “pear/PEAR-stable” is not valid
)

[1] => Array
(
[0] => Package “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_Pear_Helpers” is not valid
)

[2] => Array
(
[0] => Package “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_ZF” is not valid
)

[3] => Array
(
[0] => Package “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Varien” is not valid
)

[4] => Array
(
[0] => Package “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_All” is not valid
)

[5] => Array
(
[0] => Package “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Frontend_Default” is not valid
)

[6] => Array
(
[0] => Package “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Adminhtml_Default” is not valid
)

[7] => Array
(
[0] => Package “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Interface_Install_Default” is not valid
)

)

[headline] => Install Errors
)

PEAR ERROR: install failed

HELP??

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Samson

hi,
I got this kind of errors several times when attempting to install Magento.
It was because the installer couldn’t write in magento home directory.
As I am using a linux server, this command solved :
chmod -R 777 magentodirectory

Magento Community
Magento Community

leveleight

Thanks…

Tried that.. but still no joy… anyone else got a solution??

Magento Community
Magento Community

leveleight

anyone out there?

Magento Community
Magento Community

leveleight

tried to contact a member of the teamwith nO JOY :(

i can give you the address if you want to try to install it?!?! 

can anyone else help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

siralbert

See this thread

Magento Community
Magento Community

Spek

Total Posts:  77

I’ve solved this by checking which user apache was running under then chown’ing the magento dir and everything below it to current-user:apache-user

chown me:apache magento/ -R

Magento Community
Magento Community

ashanholt

Total Posts:  33

I am having the same issues (on Mosso hosting) and none of these suggestions has solved the problem for me.

Unfortunately, I cannot change ownership of files via FTP (as far as I know), even though via phpinfo() I can see who the file’s owner should be.

Boy I tell you, what’s really frustrating to me is that I’ve tried installing on four hosts now, and the only one that worked is Dreamhost. It’s too bad that a single page load of a Magento site, on Dreamhost, takes an average of five seconds. I would definitely consider that unacceptable! Darn it.

EDIT: Incidentally, I do have a phpinfo.php up (temporarily) if anybody can help by looking at that…

http://www.mypapermilk.com.php5-5.websitetestlink.com:80/phpinfo.php

And I’m wondering… is this PEAR stuff needed? I skipped it, and the install did complete and sort of seems to have worked… but can you somehow install the PEAR packages you need later, through the interface, or manually FTP them up from a copy provided by Varien? Just curious…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Spek

Raymond Brigleb - 21 January 2008 09:02 AM

I am having the same issues (on Mosso hosting) and none of these suggestions has solved the problem for me.

Unfortunately, I cannot change ownership of files via FTP (as far as I know), even though via phpinfo() I can see who the file’s owner should be.

You should be able to change permissions on the files if you’re able to upload them. (For FileZilla you right-click the file and pick “file attributes..")
Do you have telnet/ssh access?

You might want to try these additional (red) permissions that aren’t listed in the install guide, I didn’t need them though.

cd magento
chmod o+w var var/.htaccess app/etc
chmod o+w media -R

chmod o+w lib/pear/download -R
chmod o+w app/code/core -R

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/2505/

Magento Community
Magento Community

ashanholt

Thanks so much for the suggestion, Ben. I will try those additional permissions, just to be sure. To clarify, I’m having no trouble adjusting permissions via FTP per se, I simply can’t change ownership of the files. For example, to make them owned by the web server, as suggested earlier. I am not 100% sure, but I think you need SSH access to do that, which I don’t have on Mosso.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Spek

Raymond Brigleb - 21 January 2008 02:13 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestion, Ben. I will try those additional permissions, just to be sure. To clarify, I’m having no trouble adjusting permissions via FTP per se, I simply can’t change ownership of the files. For example, to make them owned by the web server, as suggested earlier. I am not 100% sure, but I think you need SSH access to do that, which I don’t have on Mosso.

My bad, I assumed that was just a mistype.. I don’t think you can chown through ftp either, as far as I know there’s no raw command for it.
You said you could see who the owner was, does that mean you’re sure it’s the wrong one? And do you have any other way of interacting with those servers? Control panels?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ashanholt

Ok, this is really strange, but I’m *seeing* the option to change owner and group today (in both Transmit and Coda, the two Mac apps I typically use) and it’s tripping me out. What’s also messing with my head is that the site seems to work fine, even though those PEAR libraries didn’t seem to install correctly. So I’m stumped.

Basically, I’m going to leave it as-is unless I find something wrong, at which point I’ll start worrying again!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@Raymond: looks like the universe had adjusted itself for your needs smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

bradsugar

Total Posts:  28

it works with me when i change the permission like this in root of my magento installation

chmod o+w app/code/core -R

old version : chmod o+w lib/pear/download -R

but mine is 1.1.7 so it should be like this

chmod o+w downloader/pearlib -R

hope it helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

timpletcher

Total Posts:  12

its very easy to run into these problems, there are simple ebooks with step by step screenshots to help you with your magento installation.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community