Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Normalizing the Schema

wayne62682

Total Posts:  6

Is there any resources out there for trying to normalize Magento’s wildly abstract database schema?  Our Magento database is eventually going to need to interface with a separate back-end system (which has yet to be written) and my I’m going cross-eyed from trying to dissect this ridiculously complex EAV schema.

The code needs to be able to consolidate the different entity tables into one in order to display data on a page, right?  What I need to do is come up with something that resembles a true database model, at least for reading product data out.  So if I have attributes called Description (text), Price (decimal), Weight (decimal) and Recycled (int; 1/0) how on earth do I pull this out?  The name of the column is contained as part of the data structure, but for what I’m looking to do I need to have it as a column name in a view or something.

Surely there has to be some way to do this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

Cannot you use the API to pull the data out in the format you want for your other application? Also, check out dataflow, with that you can pull all products out into a flat table. Unless speed is a problem there should not be too much of a need to get too far under the hood.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community