Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento + 3rd party product designer tool

ilona

Total Posts:  3
Munich, Germany

Hi all,
I’m looking for a new eCommerce platform to replace osCommerce and bumped into Magento. I’ve installed Magento and done some little testing - no problems there. Now, our webstore has some special functionality which makes it a bit different to most online stores. Let me try to explain what I want and see if someone could tell me if that would work:

A: Integration of a 3rd party online designer tool
1) When you pick a product, instead of adding it to your cart you enter an online designer/customization tool (a Java/Flash app on a different server). The designer URL will vary between certain products.

2) Most products have 20+ predesigns which must be displayed as clickable thumbnail images PRIOR to entering the designer, so that you can either start with a blank canvas or a predesign (the selected predesign - an XML file name - is communicated to the designer tool as a URL parameter). I’ve looked into configurable products but could they handle this? A kind of image swatch on the product detail page would be ideal.

3) Once you’ve finished designing you return to the website and save your design. The name of the design must be stored in the order but also in a (separate?) table so that you can later return and reopen your designs. Only after saving your design you can add it to your shopping cart and proceed to order.

B: Integration of a 3rd party business system
1) When you place an order on the website or manually in the admin interface, a CSV file containing order data is automatically generated and emailed

I hope this made some sense! I would be grateful for any help and/or estimates on how difficult/time-consuming such customization might be. Our current osCommerce shop is indeed quite heavily customized but I don’t think I could bring much (if any) of that custom stuff into Magento as it is.

Thanks in advance!
Ilona

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ilona

Total Posts:  3
Munich, Germany

Anyone? I’d really like to hear some comments from Magento people out there. I’m a complete newbie to Magento and don’t really have an idea if the kind of customizations we’re looking for are first of all possible, and also how “difficult” such changes might be.

Basically I’m trying to sell the idea of moving over to Magento to our business/project management because I as the developer am completely fed up with osCommerce.

Ilona

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community