What I am after is a list of what should be included in a barebones design for a fully functional (yet barebones) Magento theme/template/skin. I would ideally like to have a set of PSD templates set up (just empty pre-named PSD’s with Guides only), so we can quote effectively to design a basic store, and code it in XHTML, and hand over to our developers for integration, payment gateway stuff and any custom modules the client requires....
I’ve looked through the demo store (annoyingly it keeps redirecting me to the homepage so I can’t view any sub pages), as well as a few real examples and came up with a nearly solid list. I don’t think we will really know until we design our first Magento shop, so I would appreciate the benefit of hindsight.
What I have so far is split into front and back end:
1. Homepage (The design would have to include shopping cart, feedback message, a few global styles and structure styles)
2. Category Landing Page
3. Product Details Page (with feedback messages)
4. Shopping Basket (with feedback messages, list of products, and a message if your basket is empty)
5-10. The 6 step checkout process (mainly fields and check boxes)
11. The Create an Account Page (form fields again)
12. My Reviews (personally I would like to turn this off for a barebones magento store)
Any additional custom modules or pages I have missed…
The “my account” section looks fairly straight forward, but does require a bit of sprucing up, and looks to share a lot of the form styling in each panel, and each dashboard is just the same pane over again for each, so it 7 odd similar pages
2. Account Info
3. Address Book
4. My Orders
5. My Reviews (goes to the front end)
6. My Tags.......
7. Newsletter Subscriptions
8. Wish List (similar to shopping cart/basket really)
So from a design perspective, it looks like there are 5 odd big pages to design, and the rest are similar pages that will come from the global design of the site. I’m also guessing once we’ve designed 1, most of the pages (bar home, products etc) will be the same or similar except for colour and layout.
I’m not sure if that helps, but given what I have above I have sent out our first proposal. So I hope I got it right.