Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Performance Good except for one category

jimmypalmer

Total Posts:  79

I have 5 categories.  All the categories have page loads of about 2.5 seconds.  Which is great...however, one of my categories has a page load of 15 + seconds and I am wondering if anyone knows how to debug this or if there are any thoughts as to why this is happening.

I use configurable products extensively.  Each category has anywhere from 30 to 100 configurable products.  The category that is slow has over 6000 simple products associated with it.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Flopy69

Total Posts:  124
Lyon

Did you find a solution?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jimmypalmer

Not really, but for the short term I have a work around.

I think what might be causing problems is a known issue with order by and limit in mysql.  I’m no mysql guru, but my tests point to that being the issue.  I found several posts in the mysql forums (unfortunately I can’t find them now) that mention performance issues occurring with LIMIT and ORDER BY. 

If the products are ordered simply by the id then it seems to load fairly quickly, but if you change this order then it’s pretty bad. 

I’m actually at a place where I could really use some good advise on this.  We are about to add even more products and I’m just not sure magento can handle it without upgrading the server drastically.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

Total Posts:  796

Are you suggesting that you have a custom sort view just on that one category?

Another consideration is whether there is anything unique about the products in that category? Do they have an extended set of attributes above and beyond other categories? Are they bundled/grouped where others are simple?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jimmypalmer

no I am not suggesting that.

Yes, I’ve considered all of those options and done some extensive testing.  The problem is no longer with one category it is actually when I customize the order of the products via Admin > Catalog > Manage Categories > Select Category > Tab: Category Products > Set: Position.

I found that when the position is set over several products the performance gets drastically worse.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community