Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Getting Product Name for Product Page

rfazuer

Total Posts:  15

I’m attempting to integrate with an external gift registry, and need to get at the product name so I can pass to the script which call the registry.  I want this from on a product page, and have created a template file and added to the XML for catalog to get it to appear, but can’t get any of the get() functions to work.  I have this in right sidebar

As a test (just to see if I can get the value) I have the following in my template file:

<?php $_product $this->getProduct() ?>
<h3><?php echo $this->htmlEscape($_product->getName()) ?></h3>

However I get the following on the page:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getName() on a non-object in /path/to/templatefile

A further test (just echoing getProduct() ) seems to show that the value is Null (which explains the above error).

Why does it not get the product from this call?  Is there a problem with having it in the Right sidebar?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

you might have pulled an array of products and you may need to specify individual entities in the array.

Magento Community
Magento Community

LeeSaferite
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Lake City, FL

I’m going to guess that you are trying to call getProduct() on a block that does not have that method or variable stored on it.  When you are running inside a template file, $this references the current Block class you are inside.  Without knowing more information it’s kinda hard to give a better response.  How are you telling Magento to load your template file?  Can you post the layout XML that you are using?

Magento Community
Magento Community

rfazuer

Total Posts:  15

OK, both of those make sense to me...think the later (not in the right block context) is probably what is going on.  I was able to move the link into a different area within the actual product block and was able to get at the proper information just fine.

Thanks for clarifications.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community