Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Has there ever been a smooth Magento upgrade? 

globalamerican

Total Posts:  13

I’m not here to bash, i love Magento(mostly).

I don’t have the luxury of having test environments and spare servers to test a Magento upgrade.  Sure, I can back up my store before i attempt an upgrade, but that doesn’t prevent my site from going down when everything goes to poop.

All i see are horror stories about upgrades and multiple suggestions on how to fix the problems.  “try this” “just add this code” or “change this in 10layersdeepconfig.xml"…

Can a real person with a real store without a staff of 10 or more programmers tell me about a smooth upgrade?  I have to go from 1.5.1.0 to 1.6 on one store and from 1.4.1.1 to 1.6 and i have to tell you; I’m scared as hell.

Is there anyone else in my same situation with a live site and it just has to work?  How do you do it?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

testuser12

Total Posts:  13

you are in the same boat i’m in.

i have 2 shops one running 1.4 and one running 1.5

for both shops i’m terrified to upgrade as i do not want to spend a fortune on coders (who all have problems with magento, there is not 1 coder who can do this smooth without problems).

you can try it with a xamp or mamp server on your local computer.

but trust me i’ve tried it many times (on my local setup to test) and tried many sollutions from this forum and elsewhere, but it simply never works without any hick ups and or bugs.

your basicly screwed because the support is horrible.

and a clean install is a sollution but the import export function for both products and mysql database also gives you a ton of problems.

in simple words: your screwed. (shame as magento is a great platform)

Magento Community
Magento Community

UnderDogg

Total Posts:  63

globalamerican - 23 August 2011 10:39 AM

“change this in 10layersdeepconfig.xml”

At least I like your humor.
Basically I haven’t upgraded yet, so I cannot give tips, etc.
What I would do is do a test upgrade. If it’s not on localhost then do it on a Virtual Machine.
There’s at least 1 Virtual Machine image I know of that works amazingly.
Plant the backup of your site on your virtual machine, make a snapshot, then upgrade.
If it goes to poop, give the programmers something to do. If not, share your success story.

I come from a community where the users were given chance to do testupgrades before the software went final.
Of course here we were on RC stage for ... how long? I just didn’t see a message : “hey community, we’re going final in 2 weeks, now is a chance to test your upgrades and report errors”. Maybe that’s just me though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

elfinstrider

Total Posts:  8

In answer to your question . . . I did have a smooth upgrade once. It was a Tuesday. . . from 1.4 to 1.5 . . . ahh, that was the life.

This recent one , ( 1.5 to 1.6 ) was a nightmare. Killed my weekend and thankfully, I found some guys to help bring it all the way across the finish line and get everything sorted out when I was going a bit nuts and running out of time.

That being said, whatever server you’re on, try to get one that can host a test environment. That’s really the best way to go.  Most production servers can host multiple sites, especially ones powerful enough to have Magento running smooth in the first place.
In Cpanel, just get yourself an Addon domain connected to the site.

We actually have two domains on one server ( site.com + sitebeta.com ) - They are exactly alike, running on two DBs and essentially all my themes and pieces are in them.

Most of the time, sitebeta.com is either showing a custom HTML page (and I rename the index.php to index1.php); or it’s redirecting to the main site. When it’s time to experiment, upgrade or test ..  I put sitebeta.com live and start testing.

This normally works pretty well for us; and the few times I’ve stepped out and did it on the live production server, man did I regret it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

montpro

Total Posts:  50

Hi, I am a one man band and self taught magento novice.

Well I had 1.4.2 and no upgrade was possible for some reason.

What I did was backup the site and database (filezilla to my hard drive for site & ssh database) and then do a fresh install of 1.5.1 with a new database - installed all the extensions I had on my old version then swapped over the database details in local.xml to point it to my old database - this worked perfectly.

For 1.6 I did a straight upgrade in magento connect using just mage_all and it’s the only time I have got an upgrade to work. I admit it was by default as by this time I had a test domain running but upgraded the live site by mistake - good job it worked grin

Just make sure you backup everything before doing it as I have lost many a nights sleep having to redo months of work!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community