Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Custom Magento theme 1.4.0 to 1.6.0

NETRONIANinc

Total Posts:  57

I have a magento theme that is not working properly since it was made for 1.4.0 version.
the tabs checkout, my account, my wishlist etc are not working correctly since the theme was made for 1.4.0 magento.

Is there anyway, i can make that theme to work for 1.6.0 version?

Thank you.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Turnkeye
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  908
URL: turnkeye.com

Yes it is possible.

Your skin should be manually modified to work with the latest 1.6.x version.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NETRONIANinc

Total Posts:  57

Hello,
thanks for your respond but is there any post online showing how to do that?
thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  821
Cleveland

I would suggest you start out with this:

http://info.magento.com/rs/magentocommerce/images/MagentoDesignGuide.pdf

Magento Community
Magento Community

buzbuzzer

Total Posts:  29

The guide is a good start. but OP raises a good question on upgrading magento and bringing themes with it.  of course we can always look at any reports or logs to see errors that occur. but I imagine there are functions, that will change within an upgrade as well as different calls for layouts.

so to expand the question, is there general areas that should be checked for changes prior and post upgrade?  is there any knowledge-base to help identify theme files that will need migration?  My main concern is with all the shifts in javascript/Prototype, there might be specific classes and IDs that need attention and definitely attention needed when Magento 2.0 with jQuery is released.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  821
Cleveland

buzbuzzer - 29 August 2011 08:25 AM

The guide is a good start. but OP raises a good question on upgrading magento and bringing themes with it.  of course we can always look at any reports or logs to see errors that occur. but I imagine there are functions, that will change within an upgrade as well as different calls for layouts.

so to expand the question, is there general areas that should be checked for changes prior and post upgrade?  is there any knowledge-base to help identify theme files that will need migration?  My main concern is with all the shifts in javascript/Prototype, there might be specific classes and IDs that need attention and definitely attention needed when Magento 2.0 with jQuery is released.

This is a good question. The answer depends on how the theme was built. In v1.2 and v1.3 most of the Magento template makers just manipulated and copy and pasted the /base/default templates into their own template (XML and phtml files). We didn’t really care until v1.4 when all these themes stopped working. The reason… We have all been doing it wrong. Instead of editing and copy and pasting those XML and phtml files we should have been altering the files we needed and used CSS changes as much as possible.

There’s 700+ files in base/default. The last theme I did had 60 files (remember if magento can’t find a file it will fall back).

The general areas that should be checked when upgrading are XML updates. Your updates should only be in a local.xml file located in your theme.

I would not worry about Magento 2.0 at this point. Most likely everyone will need at least moderate changes to their themes and extensions. Magento 2.0 is still in the distance.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community