Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

500 internal error after upgraded

godscourge

Total Posts:  50

I try to upgrade to 1.1.8 with magento connect so i enter “magento-core/Mage_All_Latest “ and press go

after magento connect tell me that all is finished i try to go on my index shop but now all is unaccessible ! “500 internal server error”, the same in /admin/ !!!

only my second shop (website level) is OK ( other level than default)

i don’t know what to do????

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

godscourge

Total Posts:  50

ok after an upgrade you have to reset the permissions of files “index.php” and htaccess with CHMOD 755 !

now it s ok!

^^

Magento Community
Magento Community

colin008

Total Posts:  84

On shared server, I had the same “500 internal server error” I also had to CHMOD 755 folder ../js/ and file .. /js/index.php to get the front end menu and JavaScript to function correctly.

Other file permission errors i have are in the admin area when selecting “system>configuration” also “catalog>google base>manage items”
I’m still looking and resetting other file and folder permission to sort this out.

Being on a shared server i dont have SHH access so have to reset file and folder permissions via an FTP program, FlashFXP was the only FTP program i found that allows you to CHMOD folder, sub folder and files at the same time..! handy..

Magento Community
Magento Community

saileruk

Total Posts:  25

colin008 - 28 November 2008 05:54 AM

On shared server, I had the same “500 internal server error” I also had to CHMOD 755 folder ../js/ and file .. /js/index.php to get the front end menu and JavaScript to function correctly.

Other file permission errors i have are in the admin area when selecting “system>configuration” also “catalog>google base>manage items”
I’m still looking and resetting other file and folder permission to sort this out.

Being on a shared server i dont have SHH access so have to reset file and folder permissions via an FTP program, FlashFXP was the only FTP program i found that allows you to CHMOD folder, sub folder and files at the same time..! handy..

I have found the trick for “500 internal server error” when click on “system>configuration”

see this post:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/26409/

but, still have the problem when click on “google base> manage items”

anyone know how to solve it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

FetchDesigns

Total Posts:  124
Chicago, IL

godscourge - 27 November 2008 03:48 AM

ok after an upgrade you have to reset the permissions of files “index.php” and htaccess with CHMOD 755 !

now it s ok!

^^

I have done this multiple times before, but haven’t upgraded in a little while and I can’t remember where the admin index file is to fix the permissions.  Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

rrowan

Total Posts:  46
Dallas, TX

FetchDesigns - 05 June 2009 06:14 AM

godscourge - 27 November 2008 03:48 AM

now it s ok!

^^

I have done this multiple times before, but haven’t upgraded in a little while and I can’t remember where the admin index file is to fix the permissions.  Any ideas?

Do you have SSH access? If so, then you can cd into your magento folder and input the following command:

find -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

Magento Community
Magento Community

FetchDesigns

Chicago, IL

rrowan - 05 June 2009 06:31 AM

Do you have SSH access? If so, then you can cd into your magento folder and input the following command:

find -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

I do, but don’t feel comfortable enough with it to use it much.  I’m working on it.  Thanks for the tip!

In the meantime, I ended up changing /downloader/index.php to 755 and that did the trick.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FishPig

Total Posts:  232

This thread just saved my life!

For anyone with the same problem do this:

CHMOD 755 the following:
- magento/index.php
- magento/downloader/
- magento/js/*

Close your browser and delete all cookies/cache etc

Login to Magento and clear your cache
Navigate to homepage

Thank you everyone who posted here

Magento Community
Magento Community

FetchDesigns

Chicago, IL

For a quick and easy fix, you can also follow the instructions at this link…

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/resetting_file_permissions

Also note the Magento Cleanup Tool which has proved immensely helpful!

Magento Community
Magento Community

willamm

Total Posts:  6

If you are on control panel server, check the “error_log” file for clue on what is causing the internal error. Most of the time it is due to incorrect permission set for file or directory.

On Non-suphp server environment:

If you are on non-suphp server environment, you have to make sure respective directories are writable.

# chmod 777 var var/.htaccess app/etc
#chmod -R 777 media

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gunder Johansen

Total Posts:  1

Just one more 500 error

I have done so many reinstalls a.s. that I give it up. I think the magento was nice, but when it’s impossible to install easily I rather use another software. I found that I nearly get trough everything, when rename all my htacces-files and reloded every page, but was stopped when I come to the database install (installed properly)

As long as there are so many problems to get this program up and running, I’m sure many will rather use other programs. Please do something with the install procedure, and the Magento will be much more interesting for many people.
wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

sudou

Total Posts:  4

Providing you’ve got a hair-trigger finger reaction, if you do find a <b>louis vuitton uk</b> that you want you’re in with a great chance of securing it.<br/>More and more people can afford <b>louis vuitton uk</b>, not to say they are on sale. Price is not equivalent with value,they own classical style, fine materials, elaborate technique.<br/>After graduating from university, my cousin came back to my hometown from USA last month. She told me that <b>beats by dre</b> is very popular among her classmate.<br/><b>dr dre beats</b> offer excellent, elegant beats products in order to generate room for your new collections.They’re purchased more quickly that you may at any time imagine.<br/>All <b>ralph lauren uk</b> are lovely packaged in a setting designed to both protect and present them. Whether they are given as a graduation gift or a family heirloom, the velvet pouch or specially cushioned packaging will be perfect.<br/><b>coach outlet</b> has become necessary in everyday life of women seeking fashion and simple designs simple and elegant to look at very affordable and practical.<br/>handbags and purses of <b>coach outlet online</b> are beautiful, classic designs made for sophisticated customers to make an emphatic style statement.<br/><b>coach outlet</b> can provide the coach exactly the same is expected in a retail store. It can help you find bags of various colors, shapes and designs, which prove once again that the coach is actually a selection for the housekeeper.<br/>

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community