Indeed, that was it exactly. Excellent call m’dear sire. Rewrites weren’t active. Thank you sir.
So here’s what I’ve managed to do to try and roll this problem back.
1) I’ve setup a sandbox, turned the rewrites on, imported all my themes and data and since it looked like MagentoConnect didn’t touch my database, just started writing the core files; I’ve brought the database back online in the DevSite. I’ve solved issues as I’ve found them and am clearing out the wreck to bring everything back inline, while learning a bit more about Mage in the process.
What I have now is a DevSite that loads, I can log in and see all my client data, orders and products, and the theme looks right.
Current Problem stumping me :
As a user in the frontend - When I click a product, it can not find the page for that product. So I see the categories and I see products in those categories, but if I click on a product, it gives me the “Page not Found” dialogue.