Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
What is the more simple way to update from 1.1.7 to 1.1.8 ? 

mirelon

Total Posts:  41

MagentoFan - 01 December 2008 12:21 AM

Upgrading using Magento Connect Manager is actually very simple (whether it won’t broken your site or not, that’s the question rasberry)
Go to -> Magento Connect Manager -> Extensions tab -> Look at “Manage Existing Extensions” -> look at “Mage_Core_Modules” (if a package has an upgrade, it will be hilighted in yellow color) -> click the “Actions” drop down menu (at the Mage_Core_Modules’ row, of course wink) -> choose “Upgrade to 1.1.8” -> click “Commit Changes” button.
Don’t forget to backup your Magento installation first (copy all the folders and dump the database) and make sure all the permissions are in place.

so i did. Now i have in connect manager that 1.1.8 is installed. But in admin in footer is 1.1.6. The upgrade has made no change to app/core. The only diff is in folder downloader. So why the connect manager thinks that it is already installed?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adonkey

Total Posts:  67

I have found it almost impossible to upgrade, there is always problems with missing files in connect manager and ALWAYS a big headache with file permissions being changed.  Luckily I am still at the concept stage so I have ended up just re-installing the complete cart from scratch then uploading the half dozen edited files and images that I have changed so far. 

The major problem for me is the file permissions being reset all the time, upgrade= error 500 all_the_time :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

domisol

Total Posts:  7

My personal way of doing things…
BTW personal doesn’t mean, my invention, it means successfullly used by myself…

1-backup database
2-make new fresh installation of the new release - say 1.1.8
3-in this new installation, copy from the original one, and in the same folders :
* media
* personal designs (from app and from skin)
* app/etc/local.xml
4-rename the old installation folder as _backup or anything, and rename the new installation folder as the old one (important because configuration holds the base URL).
5-open any page in the magento shop : this will automatically update the database to the new format of 1.1.8

This is the simplest and more safe way to do : you keep a copy of all the previous state (database and installation).

Jean-David

Magento Community
Magento Community

gjr

Total Posts:  20
Tilburg, The Netherlands

You name this simple? I was impressed by Magento due to it’s innovations.

The concept of Magento Connect is great, however it seems not to work! Disappointing!
Hope this will be a high priority on the to-do list.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nath

Total Posts:  28

I feel this should be done before anything else. Some things in Magento are just a nightmare, I am new to Magento and find it so so difficult at times.

I have also noticed that my MConnect is pointing to connect.magentocommerce.com/community is this right?

Magento Community
Magento Community

maxq

Total Posts:  126
Florida

I have the same problem, I don’t see anything to upgrade apart from a few files I don’t really need.
I’m trying to upgrade from 1.1.6 but there just doesn’t seem to be an obvious file to click on.

I don’t get the yellow boxes at all, maybe I’m missing something?
Anyone tell me the simple way to upgrade?

Thanks for any replies.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dakman

Total Posts:  38

domisol , that is definitely a good practice and its what we do most of the time. My only concern for people who don’t understand the upgrade process. I think its very important that in Magento connect that people understand that magecore / All latest will install ALL updates including overwriting many of your template files in app design directories… This can definitely cause your site to look completely different that what it was in a previous version requiring you to either do a manual merge or diff. This is why NEVER tick All latest.. just upgrade the core files, admin html, js libraries etc not the Frontend interaces…

Right now when we upgrade clients (who are in 1.1.X) we mainly upgrade there core files, admin html, admin core etc.. and NOT the app/design/frontend template files unless necessary.  Upgrading the core files can be done in magento connect but template changes have to be manually re-merged and diff’ed.

I think Magento should not bundle interfaces/templates in mage/ All latest and make it so its more clear that you can’t just upgrade a template in a few clicks...Template upgrades should be mage /All latest themes ... and there should be a warning message that people understand that design elements, content and there entire store appearance can be affected by upgrading XYZ theme..

I think we need the Magneto community needs to figure out a better way to upgrade templates because it can be very tedious if there are template changes every version .. To do template changes for instance taking a client from 1.0.x to 1.1.x is a very painful process.

Anyone else have painful template upgrade experiences or is it just us?

Also, really people need to understand Magento is a delicate yet large beast. Like spiderman… great power comes great responsibility. You need intermediate SSH / linux experience to do it .. to do an upgrade (of core files mainly ) safely in SSH it can take us about 30 minutes but to sum it up here is our process.. DO THIS on a dev server by the way not a live server.. If you’re moving you’ll need to change path information in core_config_data table using phpmyadmin and clear magentoconnect cache etc

1. Backup backup backup.. Make a new directory, and copy the whole magento / public_html folder (using cp), use phpmyadmin or mysqldump (via ssh) to do a backup ..In case all fails you have a backup that you can easily revert too

2.  Upgrade Core Files IF MOVED TO NEW SERVER and using magento connect clear out downloader/pearlib/pear.ini , rename downloader/pearlib/cache and downloader/pearlib/folders....Then access Magento connect, get latest changes, upgrade all components EXCEPT Mage Core latest and Interface Frontend/Skin frontend…

3. Load site - Make sure your frontend works and backend works. Clear var/ directory (will log you out of backend) and any cache

4. Make template changes if necessary or if critical - Instead of upgrading the tempaltes in Magento connect you’ll need to access the instructions and diff info located at ( http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/upgrading_magento_themes_for_the_latest_releases ). This is where it can be very tedious and most of the time older templates in 1.1.X designed to work with an older version will work with a newer version of the core files.

5. Test and Launch and Pray

This is the 5 step short version of our usual upgrade process..but many times it can be a 5 step process with a dozen steps per step smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

mirelon

Total Posts:  41

so i tried upgrade from 1.1.6 to 1.2.1, only core modules. This is the log of magento connect:

downloading Mage_Core_Modules-1.2.1.2.tgz ...
Starting to download Mage_Core_Modules-1.2.1.2.tgz (1,454,277 bytes)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...
done1,454,277 bytes
downloading Lib_Varien
-1.2.1.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_Varien-1.2.1.tgz (102,295 bytes)
done102,295 bytes
downloading Lib_Google_Checkout
-1.2.0.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_Google_Checkout-1.2.0.tgz (27,164 bytes)
done27,164 bytes
downloading Lib_Js_Calendar
-1.2.0.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_Js_Calendar-1.2.0.tgz (23,028 bytes)
done23,028 bytes
downloading Lib_Js_Mage
-1.2.1.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_Js_Mage-1.2.1.tgz (69,076 bytes)
done69,076 bytes
downloading Lib_Js_Prototype
-1.2.0.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_Js_Prototype-1.2.0.tgz (218,721 bytes)
done218,721 bytes
downloading Lib_ZF
-1.7.2.1.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_ZF-1.7.2.1.tgz (1,252,768 bytes)
done1,252,768 bytes
downloading Lib_ZF_Locale
-1.7.2.1.tgz ...
Starting to download Lib_ZF_Locale-1.7.2.1.tgz (1,279,085 bytes)
done1,279,085 bytes
upgrade ok
channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Google_Checkout-1.2.0
upgrade okchannel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Js_Calendar-1.2.0
upgrade okchannel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Js_Prototype-1.2.0
upgrade okchannel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_ZF_Locale-1.7.2.1
upgrade okchannel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Js_Mage-1.2.1
upgrade okchannel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_ZF-1.7.2.1
upgrade okchannel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Varien-1.2.1
upgrade okchannel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_Core_Modules-1.2.1.2
Then i was curious what has really been done. But the only diff was detected in downloader/pearlib/.
So there must be the way how to apply changes to core modules. Magento connect displays that 1.2.1.2
is already installed. I figured out that it is caused by downloader/pearlib/php/.registry. How can i
apply changes made to that registry? Or magento connect is only supposed to change registry?

Magento Community
Magento Community

McJohn

Total Posts:  1

Still have an update for the next part...Magento still working for the errors occurred...Hope this done in a day..Thanks Magento for doing it…

Regards

McJohn

____
dossier surendettement

Magento Community
Magento Community

invaderflid

Total Posts:  59
Northport Long Island New York

The company I work for has some experience updating Magento sites. If you want to get in touch with someone over here that can help visit Sysgen Media - Magento Consulting and leave a message, it will get to some one over here that has tackled these issues before.

Magento Community
Magento Community

omeedgul303

Hey, i am new here. And i absolutely love this site! Just wanted to tell you guys.

Magento Community
Magento Community

loveforum8808

wait for past master

By the way,do you know The King at Coach outlet Online or surprise of caoch outlet?You can see them!

Magento Community
Magento Community

sudou

Total Posts:  4

Providing you’ve got a hair-trigger finger reaction, if you do find a <b>louis vuitton uk</b> that you want you’re in with a great chance of securing it.<br/>More and more people can afford <b>louis vuitton uk</b>, not to say they are on sale. Price is not equivalent with value,they own classical style, fine materials, elaborate technique.<br/>After graduating from university, my cousin came back to my hometown from USA last month. She told me that <b>beats by dre</b> is very popular among her classmate.<br/><b>dr dre beats</b> offer excellent, elegant beats products in order to generate room for your new collections.They’re purchased more quickly that you may at any time imagine.<br/>All <b>ralph lauren uk</b> are lovely packaged in a setting designed to both protect and present them. Whether they are given as a graduation gift or a family heirloom, the velvet pouch or specially cushioned packaging will be perfect.<br/><b>coach outlet</b> has become necessary in everyday life of women seeking fashion and simple designs simple and elegant to look at very affordable and practical.<br/>handbags and purses of <b>coach outlet online</b> are beautiful, classic designs made for sophisticated customers to make an emphatic style statement.<br/><b>coach outlet</b> can provide the coach exactly the same is expected in a retail store. It can help you find bags of various colors, shapes and designs, which prove once again that the coach is actually a selection for the housekeeper.<br/>

Magento Community
Magento Community

justinthomsony

Total Posts:  3

View 6 Com - 27 November 2008 01:13 AM

Hi platinumtackle

1st make a back up then....

When you get into Magneto Connect look for : “Manage Existing Extensions” and click the “check for updates”

you might have to toggle the “preferred state” in the “Settings” tab to see all of what’s available.

you should then see all of the possible upgrade in the yellow highlighted box, just drop the box down for each that you want to upgrade and then click on the “commit changes” at the bottom

let the green text run in the black screen and look for any error messages

hope that helps..

It’s really looking just promising way to update from 1.1.7 to 1.1.8

Magento Community
Magento Community

Berich007

Total Posts:  12

Hi,

You can also upgrade Magento by migrating all necessary data from your currant store to a fresh installation. You can get that service from cart2cart http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3