Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Quantity per fixed amount

Sander

Total Posts:  232
Netherlands

Hi,

My compliments for an already excellent e-commerce project!

Magento offers great flexibility, but I stumbled upon something I’m not quite sure how to realize in Magento yet. How would I best implement the following, in your opinion?

A product (say a pen) is sold in boxes of 30, 60, 90, 120, 240 or 360 pens. Clients can choose how many boxes of a certain type they want to order. For instance, a customer wants 5 boxes of 60 pens. However, this has to be processed in the backend as an order of 300 pens, and the shop owner just has to know he has to package them as 5 boxes of 60 instead of 10 boxes of 30.

So, what would be ideal is if I could multiply the amount of boxes and the amount of pens per boxtype to arrive at the ordered quantity of pens, and process the chosen box type as side-information.

With product attributes+configurable product I can make a product that has the boxtype in a dropdown. However, I have not (yet) found a way to combine the product attribute and quantity input to arrive at the desired solution.

To recap: a client can choose how many of a certain box he wants. A box contains a certain amount of pens. The order quantity is the total amount of pens ordered and the chosen box type is information belonging to the order. From a clients point of view, the client orders a certain amount of boxes of pens. From the shop owner’s point of view, the client orders a certain amount of pens that have to be packaged in a certain boxtype.

Hope this is clear, and thanks for your replies!
Sander

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

The right answer is that you need a Bundle Product functionality to have this work correctly. You will then create on simple product pen, and create bundles of this pen for the different boxes. This functionality is still in the works and cannot guarantee it will be available with the first stable release. For now your best option, although not fully solving your issue is to use configurable products.

thanks

yoav

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community