Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Effect of truncating log_* tables

GregC

Total Posts:  76
A^2, MI

Hi All,
What is the effect of truncating the log_* tables?  These tables have grown very large effecting the amount of time to do backups and the amount of memory needed on the DB server (I see a ‘select * from log_visitor’ in the slow queries log that reads 12 million rows in 76 seconds - gotta be a bad thing)

I see a lot of discussion on these tables, but there’s very little good information on them. 

Here’s my questions -
If I truncate these tables, what is the effect on the admin reporting capabilities? 
Is there a downside of deleting the data every day?
Can I stop Magento from logging in the first place if this data is not being used?

Thanks for the help,
Greg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

SebboKleine

Total Posts:  23

Good questions!!!

I’ve read a lot in the forum about this but there seems to be no answer from Varien :(

It seems to be save to truncate this tables (my own experience and some others too), but I’ve not found any official note from Varien.
Does anyone know if there is a way to access information stored in log_visitor and log_url in the backend? Is it used for anything?

If it is not used then it is much smarter to be able to deactivate logging than to do some “log cleaning” now and then.

Sebbo

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community