Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to upgrade from 1.5.1 to 1.6.0

Bazz78

Total Posts:  156
Italy

i use wampserver 2.0 on a local test machine

I have never had such problems with earlier versions…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

GPutignano

Total Posts:  214
Lauria - Italy

Magento v1.6 has many bugs from many previous version and never correct.
I’m asking which will happen when will be launched x.commerce platform based on magento!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

Magento has a great facility to both offer to core development and bug reports,

Your error was not a bug but lack of resources

I run VM Workstation with Centos 5.6.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sonservant

Total Posts:  10
USA/NJ

I’m confused by what the ./ in front of mage signifies in the examples in this post.
If I look in Magento root, where these commands are being run, there is a mage file but no mage directory. a “.” in bash would mean this directory and a “/” would indicate traversal into a subdirectory.
I’m sure it must be something obvious if you know but I’ve google about and not found anything on this combination of charters.
Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Minneapolis MN

The quick and easy explanation is that Unix/Linux command shells don’t search the current directory for commands, unless the current directory is listed in the $path variable. So, unless the command is built-in like ‘grep’, ‘type’, or ‘ls’, or the command’s path is listed in the $path variable, the command shell won’t find the command. Unless you specify the current directory as the path by typing “./[command]” at the command line.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sonservant

Total Posts:  10
USA/NJ

Thanks for a good explanation Brent, much appreciated.
Bash scripting is something I’d like to dig into but to date haven’t made the time.
Cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Digital Pianism

Total Posts:  48

Alright, I’ve been able to go through this update solving a lot of errors, here is a little how-to :

- first I’ve got to say the website was a 1.4.X Magento version
- so I first updated to 1.5 downloading the 1.5 files and installing my old database on it (you can then upload your design and media folders to get your theme, extensions etc...)
- then I used the Brent’s tuto : http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/1_-_installation_and_configuration/magento_1.5_to_1.6_upgrade
- at this point, you can get a ‘Mage registry key “_resource_helper/core” already exists’ error so you need to delete cache and session files again
- here came the errors : first ones were the similar errors as the ones described there : http://www.expertmagentodevelopers.com/blog/how-to-upgrade-from-magento-1-5-1-to-magento-1-6-0/ so I modified my app/etc/config.xml file as recommended and I get rid of them.
- then I faced this error : Column “date” does not exists on table “catalog_product_index_website”. Checking my database, I noticed that they were no date column but a website_date column instead. So I checked the code in the php upgrade file and it seems that this file wants to change the name of the “date” column into “website_date”. Here I don’t know if it’s because I tried to access both backend and frontend at the same time after my upgrade (so the file has been called two times) but as I told you my column had already been renamed.
- So what I’ve done is commenting the lines which rename the column in this file and I get rid of this error. (the file path is written in the error report, it’s app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/sql/catalog_setup/mysql4-upgrade-1.5.9.9-1.6.0.0.php lines 4169 to 4177)
- Unfortunately other similar errors came and I had to make similar modifications (commenting renam column lines) in the following files : app/code/core/Mage/Sales/sql/sales_setup/mysql4-upgrade-1.5.9.9-1.6.0.0.php (lines 6621 to 6699) and app/code/core/Mage/Weee/sql/weee_setup/mysql4-upgrade-1.5.9.9-1.6.0.0.php (lines 412 to 458). So here I think you could probably face similar errors with different files than mine, I think there are much more files that try to rename columns so don’t be surprised if you’ve got different files or different error message, basically if you face a error “ column_name doesn’t exist in table_name”, first check your database to be sure it doesn’t exist and then check the php file and modify the code.
- And I finally accessed to my store everything works fine.

I hope it will help you all, it was much more complicated than the previous updates (a fix from Magento team would be really appreciated for non programming people).

Magento Community
Magento Community

dbabaev

Total Posts:  83

karnakoss - 24 August 2011 04:55 PM

I hope it will help you all, it was much more complicated than the previous updates (a fix from Magento team would be really appreciated for non programming people).

Thanks karnakoss. Very helpful. Although, I think I’ll wait till Magento releases a fix for this. Whenever that might be.

Magento Community
Magento Community

raqy

Total Posts:  24

@karnakoss - thanks for posting your solution. However, apart of being very complicated to handle, it might carry the risk of some columns not having the name they should have and that may cause problems later on.

There seems to be a major bug here.

I just wonder - how some of you manage to upgrade with no errors (during or after installation) and no special manipulation?

My 1.5.1 DB is very small - has little data in it (still in development). Still, it takes so long to install, i.e. until it pops the first error....

Magento Community
Magento Community

Digital Pianism

Total Posts:  48

That’s why you need to check your database each time you get this kind of error to be sure the columns have been renamed wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

raqy

Total Posts:  24

@karnakoss - well it is not really the best practice.... grin

It seems that the problem is sql files conflicts i.e. duplicated rename commands - when the second one causing an error.

I just don’t understand the Integrity constraint violation errors.

I’ve done this installation several times as when i looked at db - it seems corrupted after restarting the installation with the same db from previous try (the columns names were doubled - I wonder how this is at all possible - e.g. ‘date’ became ‘date date’).

when I reinstall with a new db from backup - i had the Integrity constraint violation error, although changing config.xml file and clearing cache.

I’m so frustrated with this, as I have to continue developing and I’m stuck now.

I’ll continue working on my 1510 installation and wait for a proper upgrade hmmm

Magento Community
Magento Community

fabianborg

Total Posts:  34

Hi,

I had to resolve in a fresh install and basically started to dump data into the db physically.  I have managed to keep up quite well, yet I ran into #1136 - Column count doesn’t match value count at row 1 for example the code below taken from a v1.5.1 backup:

LOCK TABLES `tax_calculationWRITE;
/*!40000 ALTER TABLE `tax_calculation` DISABLE KEYS */;
INSERT INTO `tax_calculationVALUES ('4','1',3,2),('5','1',3,2),('6','1',3,2),('7','1',3,2),('8','1',3,2),('9','1',3,2),('10','1',3,2),('11','1',3,2),('12','1',3,2),('13','1',3,2),('14','1',3,2),('15','1',3,2),('16','1',3,2),('17','1',3,2),('18','1',3,2),('19','1',3,2),('20','1',3,2),('21','1',3,2),('22','1',3,2),('23','1',3,2),('24','1',3,2),('25','1',3,2),('26','1',3,2),('27','1',3,2),('28','1',3,2),('29','1',3,2),('30','1',3,2);
/*!40000 ALTER TABLE `tax_calculation` ENABLE KEYS */;
UNLOCK TABLES;

For the following tables:
catalog_product_flat_1
catalog_product_flat_2
catalog_product_flat_3
catalog_product_flat_4
catalogsearch_fulltext
core_url_rewrite
sales_flat_quote
sales_flat_quote_payment
tax_calculation

I am aware, that the v1.6 table structure is different for the above tables than v1.5.1, hence can someone illuminate me on how to over come these errors and load the data with the db successfully.

With best regards

Fabian

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Minneapolis MN

Do you get the error after you complete the upgrade or as the upgrade is happening?

Magento Community
Magento Community

fabianborg

Total Posts:  34

Hi Brent,

I followed on your guidance, starting off by amending the V1.5.1 config.xml then headed to create a v1.5.1 back-up straight off mangento. [I did not do a dump from mysql] then proceeded with the upgrade via ssh as your instructions.

The store stabilized its self, yet past I added a couple of products and re-indexed from magento v1.6, the site collapsed… ;(

Hence I chose to try another path, i.e. clean install of v 1.6 and since I could not just dump the v1.5.1 backup via sql as this was giving a load of errors, I chose to dump the data in, one table at a time. [and thats’ 300 tables gosh...)

The SQL error that I get is for the tables as listed. I am not so familiar with sql and that stuff as I am just a store owner, but I can note that the tables structure as listed in my previous post varies from v1.5.1 to v1.6, hence I guess the errors.

Can you enlighten me how to make these tables compatible with v 1.6

Regs Fab

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Minneapolis MN

Hence I chose to try another path, i.e. clean install of v 1.6 and since I could not just dump the v1.5.1 backup via sql as this was giving a load of errors, I chose to dump the data in, one table at a time. [and thats’ 300 tables gosh...)

You should be able to dump your old database like thie

mysqldump -u user -p password -h host databasename mysqdumpfile.sql

Then you need a new database to restore to

mysql -p password -u users
mysq
create database mysqldatabase;

(your will need a user if you are not root)

Import like this

mysql -p password -u user -h host mysqldatabase mysqldumpfile.sql

Pretty much do this 5-6 times a day in my job…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community