Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Please advise on best procedure for Upgrade

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

@sherrie - when you export the database, do you leave all the options as they are? I presume you click “select all” and choose SQL. What about the SQL options and compression?

I have trouble importing the saved/exported database.

Many thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Hi,

I have managed to import the database (make a backup from the Magento admin and import from phpMyadmin) - but when I try to connect the copy of my site to the new database during the installation, it does not work. After the screen where it asks me for the database details, instead of proceeding to the next screen, it takes me to my home page, ie www.site.com - which is weird, as it should at least take me to www.site.com/test

It just will not go past that screen and continue the installation!

I have changed the rewritebase to /test/ but that did not help. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Anyone? Please help! I’m lost here!
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ralphie

Total Posts:  59
London

hi lisali

i dont exactly know what happened in your case, but if you just copy all the files and duplicate the db you can simply change the db settings in the etc/local.xml to your backup db (no need to delete local.xml). in case you changed the url the links will still point to your old path though. if you locked yourself out of the admin you can change the path in the db. just execute

SELECT FROM core_config_data WHERE path like'url'

please note that the url in the query above needs to be enclosed in signssomehow the forum messed with me and didn't allow me to put it up there like that..

and change the base_urls (those two fields (secure, unsecure) should be enough, unless you changed some other paths in your orig installation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply. You might be on to something here - but shouldn’t the new installation overwrite the old base URLs with the new ones I specify during the installation?

My problem is that the installation will not continue past the point I mentioned previously - it just goes back to the home page of the non-testing live site, instead of www.site.com/test

Many thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

ralphie - 31 December 2008 02:45 AM

hi lisali

i dont exactly know what happened in your case, but if you just copy all the files and duplicate the db you can simply change the db settings in the etc/local.xml to your backup db (no need to delete local.xml). in case you changed the url the links will still point to your old path though. if you locked yourself out of the admin you can change the path in the db. just execute

SELECT FROM core_config_data WHERE path like'url'

please note that the url in the query above needs to be enclosed in signssomehow the forum messed with me and didn't allow me to put it up there like that..

and change the base_urls (those two fields (secure, unsecure) should be enough, unless you changed some other paths in your orig installation.

Hey - many thanks for the suggestion above:

change the base_urls (those two fields (secure, unsecure)

That worked great! You’re a star!
Thank you!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

experttalk

Total Posts:  2
India

Jacob.R - 27 November 2008 01:13 AM

Thanks for the tutorial Sindre, not sure if I have SSH access. Please view included screen shot.

Would one of these backup tutorials be ok?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Backing_Up_Your_Database

http://fragments.turtlemeat.com/mysql-database-backup-restore-phpmyadmin.php

Can anyone spare some time to walk me through making a clone? smile

Is the new update any quicker?? I am getting very slow page loading times and server errors while customizing Magento confused

Thanks for the help

Magento Community
Magento Community

rmitchinson1

Total Posts:  3

Hello guys, I realise this thread is a little old.

I used the method explained in the page previous to this one to backup my magento installation and extract that into my new server and import the new database.

I have done everything explained (mysql dump, tar old files, extract files to new server, import database, change database credentials in local.xml)

However when I go to my directory now it says I do not have permission to view the folder:

http://54.229.38.94/

I was expecting the site to forward me to my domain name, but it isn’t even reaching my files yet.

The server I have put it on is an Amazon EC2 instance.

Any help would be greatly appreciate smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2