Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Please advise on best procedure for Upgrade

Jacob.R

Total Posts:  32
London

Hi

I have never done an upgrade before and am concerned that all my work may be lost.

I have done basic customization stuff to the Magento Cart so far, as that’s all I am capable of. The site is still in an early design stage, so I thought better to upgrade now than latter?

In admin/manage products/add images the ‘Browse Files’ and ‘Upload Files’ buttons do not do anything when I click them, I read that the new upload will solve this problem.

www. capoeira canal .co.uk/magento

Thanks in advance

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie
Mentor

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

You can upgrade by SSH or Magento Connect - but no matter which way you do MAKE A COMPLETE BACKUP FIRST. I cannot emphasize that enough. Create a working clone of your site - all files and database - and run the upgrade on it to make sure it functions correctly. If that works then go ahead and upgrade your existing site, but you’ll want to make sure you still have a full backup of it in case something goes wrong with the upgrade or there is an element of functionality you forgot to check with the upgrade.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

Hi Sherrie,

Could you please tell us how you would go about creating a clone WITH the database? When you upgrade, does that change ANYTHING in the database? I have a heavily modified 1.1.6 (only template files though, not core) so would need to do some thorough testing before upgrading. Why, oh why do they have to change the template files every time - makes upgrading a nightmare!
Thank you!

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie
Mentor

Waterloo, ON

Sure thing, export your database sql and then import it into a separate database. Then duplicate your site files into a new location and connect them to your new database. Probably the easiest way to do that is to delete your app/etc/local.xml file (on your new location) and run the installation again pointing it to the new database. It will keep all your files etc the way they should be and you’ll have a working “clone” of your site.

Does that make sense?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jacob.R

London

sherrie - 25 November 2008 11:08 AM

You can upgrade by SSH or Magento Connect

Do I not load the zip ver .1.1.7 same as I did for ver. 1.1.6 and ftp to my hosts server?

- but no matter which way you do MAKE A COMPLETE BACKUP FIRST. I cannot emphasize that enough.

OK

Create a working clone of your site - all files and database - and run the upgrade on it to make sure it functions correctly.

Hmm, never done this before, could you please explain more or provide link tutorial?

Magento Community
Magento Community

MeatHead

Total Posts:  6

The best mySQL backup script/utility that I’ve found for a hosted environment is:

http://www.mysqldumper.de/en/

It’s easy to install, easy to use, and it’s FREE.  It’s much more configurable than the standard phpMyAdmin that comes with most hosted platforms.  You can also set cron jobs to backup all your databases automatically and store the backups as compressed gzip files.

Regardless of which tools you use, backup often or be willing to begin from scratch!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

If you have SSH access, you can easily create a database dump using the ‘mysqldump’ utility:

mysqldump -u mysql_username -p magento_database_name magento-db-backup.sql

Now, you will have a complete backup of your ‘magento_database_name’ database in magento-db-backup.sql. To import the backup into a new database, you can use this command:

mysql -u mysql_username -p new_database_name magento-db-backup.sql

To make a copy of your existing store, you can first create a tar archive of all your files, then extract this into a new location.

Make archivetar -zcf full-backup.tar.gz magento_dir
Where 
'magento_dir' is the full path to your Magento root directory.

Extracttar -zxf full-backup.tar.gz
This will extract the content of fullbackup
.tar.gz into the current directory.

The last step is to edit the app/etc/local.xml to reflect the login credentials of your new database.

PS: this short tutorial is very brief, but should provide some guidance as to how to create a clone of your Magento store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

sherrie - 25 November 2008 11:48 AM

Sure thing, export your database sql and then import it into a separate database. Then duplicate your site files into a new location and connect them to your new database. Probably the easiest way to do that is to delete your app/etc/local.xml file (on your new location) and run the installation again pointing it to the new database. It will keep all your files etc the way they should be and you’ll have a working “clone” of your site.

Does that make sense?

Hi Sherrie,

Yes, many thanks - that’s very helpful! Much appreciated!
:)

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie
Mentor

Waterloo, ON

@Sindre: Thanks so much for that! That saves SO much time when cloning! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

seudo
Guru

Total Posts:  344

And don’t forget to manually remove / delete contents in var/cache so it reflects the changes made in the app/etc/local.xml

Magento Community
Magento Community

FlappySocks

Total Posts:  31

It would be nice if Magento could automatically backup everything, prior to an upgrade.  Then offer a rollback option, should something not work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

FlappySocks - 26 November 2008 07:40 AM

It would be nice if Magento could automatically backup everything, prior to an upgrade.  Then offer a rollback option, should something not work.

Absolutely, this would make it all so much easier!

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie
Mentor

Waterloo, ON

If you’re using SSH and need to use zip files instead of tar.gz files (my server won’t allow me to extract tar.gz files myself; I have to submit a support ticket for it) here are the commands you need:

cd /path/to/folder
zip -r whatever.zip *

then

unzip whatever.zip

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jacob.R

London

Thanks for the tutorial Sindre, not sure if I have SSH access. Please view included screen shot.

Would one of these backup tutorials be ok?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Backing_Up_Your_Database

http://fragments.turtlemeat.com/mysql-database-backup-restore-phpmyadmin.php

Can anyone spare some time to walk me through making a clone? smile

Is the new update any quicker?? I am getting very slow page loading times and server errors while customizing Magento confused

Image Attachments
phpmyadmin.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

adonkey

Total Posts:  67

sherrie - 25 November 2008 11:48 AM

Does that make sense?

Thank you Sherrie, this really helped me out.

A little addition that I noticed that may need to be done if you are using the above method to clone a site, When you come to upgrade the clone you get an error on Magento Connect saying that it was unable to find the directory, then it has a reference to the orignal path eg. /website1/public_html

So I used a program called grepWin to search for the word “website1” and it appeared in the /downloader/pearlib/ files

I then simple replaced the “website1” with “clone1” and uploaded the files, then when I ran the Magento Connect upgrade it wont perfectly.

I hope this helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

eryx

Total Posts:  2

I’m using magento 1.1.6 and want to upgrade to 1.1.8 now.

My problem is in lack of better knowledge I changed some things in the core files to fit my needs. When i upgrade now all of the changes are gone? Is there a way to get megento to keep those changes? The worst thing is i don’t know all places i changed things.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2