Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 8
UK hosting

Matteo Raggi
Guru

Total Posts:  312
Italy

Any UK hosting to suggest?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

I can recommend Positive Internet, apart from being a good host with excellent support they were helpful enough to make configuration changes on their server just to get Magento working well.  I recommend Positive Internet to my clients, and am in the process of working on 2 Magento based sites hosted on their servers.

If you sign up for a shared hosting account, make sure you request PHP5 for the default PHP.

Cheers,
Ross.

Magento Community
Magento Community

boarderblokey

Total Posts:  7

Hi,

Just seen these UK hosts on another part of the Magento community:-

aegis - http://www.aegishosting.co.uk/

Citrus Digital - http://www.citrusdigitalltd.com/

Hand Coded - http://www.handcoded.co.uk/

They might help.

Has anybody got a UK based Magento store/ test store up and running?  Every time I demo the US based one it seems slow, so I’d like to compare with a UK hosted site.

Cheers

Nick

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris @ Cora

Total Posts:  17
UK

I have a reseller account with www.unitedhosting.co.uk but they don’t offer mcrypt so just a word of warning if you’re considering them.

So, I’m going to have to have an alternative hosting setup for my Magento sites which is a pain!

I’ll check out some of the other recommendations and see how I get on.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ODB

Total Posts:  142
London

Chris @ Cora - 18 February 2008 04:37 AM

I have a reseller account with www.unitedhosting.co.uk but they don’t offer mcrypt so just a word of warning if you’re considering them

I posted in their forum asking whether Magento would run and they said it would - only to find out shortly afterwards mcrypt was not supported.

BUT…

...a quick helpdesk ticket later and they fixed up the server so it could run Magento, in a very short space of time. I’ve not had service like that since I was with Rochen (indeed, it was one of the guys at Rochen that recommended me to go with unitedhosting.co.uk).

I normally host my sites with Nativespace but will probably be moving over to UH.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris @ Cora

Total Posts:  17
UK

That’s very interesting because when I asked about mcrypt I got this reply and I’m already a United reseller:

Posted On: 19 Feb 2008 09:57 AM
We do hope to put mcrypt into our next PHP 5 build, we dont however have a date for its rollout.

I’ll have to show them this post and see what they say.

Apart from this issue though they are excellent.  Support is lightning quick and helpful so you’ll have no problems using them

Cheers
Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community

BarryUK

Total Posts:  5

I’ve just switched to United Hosting. I was totally fed up with Fasthosts and they did not support Magento, nor “the other open source cart” particularly well. United are cheaper, you get more “out of the box” and tech support is good.
So far no problems with them at all. They also told me that although they didn’t currently have a set up that supported Magento, they don’t see it as a problem when I need it (which is not yet as I’m waiting until 31st March).

Magento Community
Magento Community

linxbaijy

Total Posts:  52

just setup an account with aegishosting and installed DEMO. Very fast server.  see here www.wonderherb.co.uk

Magento Community
Magento Community

boarderblokey

Thanks for the link.

At last an installation which is quick to load.

Excellent.

How was the installation?

Magento Community
Magento Community

linxbaijy

It has SSH enabled, so installation was done in 5 mins.

I found the recent release has make magento as fast as other PHP carts. That was my only worry.

Magento Community
Magento Community

boarderblokey

I’ve been to the Aegis site, but it seems to be down.

What package are you on? 

The speed is very good.

What ecommerce platform are you on at the moment?

Cheers

Nick

Magento Community
Magento Community

linxbaijy

The cheapest XL package.  You need to ask them to put you on dingo, as that server was configured for Magento.

I can still get access to support pages and everything seems normal apart from the main pages disappeared.

Magento Community
Magento Community

linxbaijy

For £40/years and the package and the Magento performance they offered, I think it is the best we can get in the UK.

Perhaps at the moment no many people host Mangeto on their server and no site really up and running, but we will see.

Magento Community
Magento Community

shaun

Total Posts:  39
Todmorden, UK

Actually, it’s only ‘down for maintenance’ as I had a new site design to put in, which should be back up and looking shiny later today once I’ve smoothed off the rough edges. I probably also shouldn’t be playing with Magento 1.0 myself just yet either smile

shaun @ aegis.

Magento Community
Magento Community

golles

Total Posts:  257

Matteo Raggi - 07 January 2008 02:33 PM

Any UK hosting to suggest?

we are running on a few of our magento istalls on www.net-hosted.co.uk - exceptional support

we would like to run our entire portfolio on them but are hesitant becuase of having just one hosting partner and the single point of failure issues this brings.

so others are at www.fasthosts.co.uk

Magento Community
Magento Community

NuBlue

Total Posts:  94
Lancaster, United Kingdom

We’re in the UK and our design/development team are using the product too so we can provide some support if required. Free installations with all hosting accounts smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 8