Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Why does the URL swap happens

ceejaybea

Total Posts:  5

I have two magento installations at http://www.website.com/folder and http://www.website.com/folder/folder

I do notice a painful issue where each of these domains swap with the other. It can be like this;

When trying to load the http://www.website.com/folder it used to load the other site
But it loads the correct admin login but for the enter login credentials, again it reverts to the home page of the other

Once this start occurring, could not find a way to resolve it…

What should I do for fixing this?
Any setting to be changed?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

duffybelfield

Total Posts:  119

Why would you install 2 different version of magento in 2 different folders?

Install one version and setup a multisite.

e.g. site1.domain.com, site2.domain.com

Both websites can be administered with one login.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ceejaybea

One site given to the developer to get a new theme and certain customization done. Next one is to check the deployability of the theme on a fresh installment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

duffybelfield

Fair enough, but you could easily do that on a multisite smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

ceejaybea

I am using the multi site on WP and would like to test is with the Magento too.
Good to hear that the facility is available with the magento.

It seems I have to do everything from sales to development here smile

I have outsourced the theme to a designer who said to be an expert but at last I am doing every bit of the work here :D

Magento Community
Magento Community

duffybelfield

Sack him! Get a refund! smile

There is a lot of Magento theme / developer providers available on the forums!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ceejaybea

Already done that pal! Now I am working on it… Next time I would bug the dev and design guys here than what is inside the oDesk… Else I would do the job based on my availability… Keep in touch.... Some times I can offload some of the work here.... smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

duffybelfield

I’m far to busy for that madness smile

Just make sure you put any solutions that help back on here for everyone else!

Glad I can help smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

ceejaybea

I think I’ve found the solution for this;

Please read the whole thing to find the remedy.

If you are a process oriented developer you may be hosting few magento installations to make the life easier for the developers, testers and the alpha/beta clients till you roll out the magento based application as a live site.

If that is the case, our traditional approach would be maintaining three or four installations similar to the following;

http://www.website.com - live = at the web site root
staging.website.com - staging or the alpha/beta site = folder location would be root/staging
qa.website.com - for the testers and the data entry ppl to test the application, changes and the theme = folder location would be root/qa
dev.website.com - for the developers to continue with the design changes, themes and the modification = folder location would be root/dev

If you are coming from a wordpress or similar CMS background, then the normal practice would be opening these sites on different tabs and performing your duties in one or another.

This is the common practice when dealing with the configs inside the admin panel.

This is where the exact problem generates. Lets say you have open two admin panels from the same machine or different machines sharing a single gateway, suddenly one session expires due to your inactivity on the same but still have the connection with other.

Browser tries to connect using the existing session and start the re-direction.

98% of the time it changes the core-config-data table against the inactive session holder and change the base URL (this is something we have to dig and in to detail and see)

In order to fix the re-direction, first you have to change the base URL values inside the core-config-data tables and then clear the session and cache details founds inside the installation/var folder

Upon completion, you can start loading the URLs without any re-direction

It seems Magento community is yet to explore these issues else full of incompetent so called geeks. Not a blame to anybody but these details should be made available inside the magento FAQs.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community