Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 4
Can’t install 0.7.14800 & Installer CSS seems broken

griffin12000

Total Posts:  8

ive seen in various threads that the older version of magento works on 1and1.. does anyone know where we may be able to get previous versions??

thanx
p

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Orange County, CA

Previous versions work great in 1&1.  The only thing I couldn’t get working w/ previous versions is the Authorize.Net checkout.

The previous release worked fine for me.
Full: http://www.magentocommerce.com/downloads/assets/0.6.14100/full/magento-0.6.14100.tar.gz
Light: http://www.magentocommerce.com/downloads/assets/0.6.14100/light/magento-0.6.14100.tar.gz

To get it working with 1&1, you need to slightly modify your .htaccess file.  Below is my .htaccess file that works well with 1&1 shared Linux hosting.

# load all PHP files as PHP5
AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php

<IfModule mod_php5.c>

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off
    php_flag short_open_tag on
</IfModule>

DirectoryIndex index.php

RewriteEngine on

RewriteBase 
/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/media/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/skin/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/js/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond 
%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond 
%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l

RewriteRule 
.* index.php

Magento Community
Magento Community

ksfhhllp

Total Posts:  3

Any ideas about what Varien changed in the latest release that doesn’t work well with 1and1?

Does anyone know if it works OK with 1and1 VPS?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Josue4ever

Total Posts:  138
Mexico DF

Older versions works, but the newest is a problem… What happen?

Magento Community
Magento Community

griffin12000

thanx.. i will give that a shot.. I take it the instructions arethe same with permissions etc.. and install like they say as well!!

thanx again!!

p

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Orange County, CA

Yes, install instructions (for the previous version) are the same for 1&1.  I’ve been installing through SSH b/c it’s MUCH faster than going through FTP.

Instructions: http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/general/magento_installation_via_ssh?rev=1196833991

Magento Community
Magento Community

griffin12000

i noticed in that older version.. after unpacking it.. there isnt an .htaccess

do i just need to create one and upload it.. the only items in it are:

app folder
lib folder
media folder
var folder
and the index.php

just checking before i get started agan..

thnx
p

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Orange County, CA

.htaccess files are hidden.  you can either tell your desktop to show hidden files, or your web editor will probably be able to see them.  I’m using Coda on the Mac and it has an option to view hidden files.  Dreamweaver also.  Files that start with a “.” are hidden by default, at least on a Mac.

You can also create an .htaccess file from scratch.  Just name it .htaccess and paste/type in the code.

Magento Community
Magento Community

griffin12000

cool.. i do have hidden files turned on.. but it doesnt show for some reason.. I will most lilkely just create one if it isnt there..

so the file folder js isnt there
and skin isnt either..
pear, license, and cron.php are missing in the older version directory after i unpacked it..... are they needed..

i dont think i have a corupt version.. but maybe if they should indeed be showing since i have hidden files turned on..

p

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Orange County, CA

This is what I see when I extract the file (hidden files are hidden in my window).  Some of the items you describe (like PEAR) are only included in the latest version.

Image Attachments
Picture 1.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

Works fine for me on 1 and 1.  I have full root server tho… does everyone else have shared hosting?

http://metrofindings.com/magento2/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Orange County, CA

I think the problem is 1&1 has PHP 4 installed by default.  To run PHP 5, you have to modify your .htaccess file.  But that only applies to certain parts of the site.  For example, when I do things via SSH, it sees PHP4, not PHP5.  I have a feeling this is the problem with the new PEAR installer (but I don’t know for sure).

Is your root server running PHP 5 natively, without having to call it in .htaccess?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Michigan, USA

Brady - 11 January 2008 03:56 PM

Is your root server running PHP 5 natively, without having to call it in .htaccess?

Uhh… yes.  Took a whole day to reconfigure everything and then fix Horde Webmail....

But, I can do it with php5-cgi as well.  I just switched the .htaccess file to use the php5-cgi binary that is referenced in the CGI install.

The only way I can come close to approximating what I see in the descriptions is by turning off all the RewriteConditions but leaving the engine on and the rule on.  But, then it won’t load the JS so I can’t actually proceed to the next page.  I have a feeling this is related to some cgi / apache version combinations and not passing around some env variables properly.  can you post a PHP info page? or PM me or someone with the URL?

Magento Community
Magento Community

griffin12000

i finally got everthing installed. went throught the database everyting was fine.. it came down to asking me if i wanted to go to the front end or the back end.. i clicked on the back end.. and it gives me a 404 error....

i have checked all the permissions but still doesnt work..i installed the previous version

thanx
patrick

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Michigan, USA

This is another apache 1.3 + CGI setup.  I’m not sure it’s going to work, I think there is an un-fixed bug in the CGI handling in apache 1.3.

SCRIPT_NAME and REQUEST_URI are the exact same values in this setup.

@Varien people - Potential fix:  if SCRIPT_NAME == REQUEST_URI then SCRIPT_NAME = REQUEST_URI minus PATH_INFO from end.

substr( REQUEST_URI, 0, -1 * (strlen(PATH_INFO)));

I can’t test this right now, or ever.  If someone else knows where this could possibly be fit in, and can test it, post your results here.

I can’t find any official info on this mod_cgi bug, but I’ve seen it hit other people using apache 1.3 with mod_cgi and php5

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 4