It turned out that somewhere along the way safe_mode had been turned on. No idea how. The site was definitely set up with it turned off!
I think what happens is that safe_mode checks if files are owned by the same user that’s updating them. In the case of the image cache - parts of it were owned by apache and parts were owned by the main owner of the site. So safe_mode was preventing the server from generating the cached images.
I may have the details of the explanation wrong. And it may not be a universal cure. But it’s worth checking! It fixed it for me!!
So I saw the desperation in this thread and thought I would chime in and see if I can provide some insight for this..
Here is from a post that I wrote a while back…
This is a big issue.. I am developing on a MAMP case in sensitive system and my LAMP remote system is case sensitive..
I was able to resolve it with the tips in this thread:
Running that script did not solve all my issues though, I actually had to upload the upper case folders as well.. basically all images uploaded before the 184.108.40.206 upgrade use uppercase folders and file names, and anything uploaded after 220.127.116.11 use lower case.. [this was after running the scripts provided on that thread]
I ended up having to maintain image directories that have upper and lower case folder names, I still run into image placeholders showing up every once and a while but the issue is more or less resolved for me..
The key to finding out if this is the issue is to check the file paths and determine if your install is looking for an “A” instead of an “a” ...
Hope it helps. I have now learned to develop locally on a case-sensitive partition…
I was having this issue as well; Images in the admin area were fine, but only the placeholders displayed on the frontend. This happened after I moved an install from a development location to a staging location. Magento would not create the product image cache because of this.
Check your phpinfo() and look at the GD section. If you don’t see:
First if you are moving your old media folder to your new install, then you might have capital letters in your Media/catalog/product/ folder.
it may look like this:
When, i moved my media folder over it kept the capitalized letters while my new install was looking for lower case letters. To check this go to the admin and the go to a catalog item. When you mouse over the images you will get the x or broken image. right click and then choose inspect element.
This will give you the url of the image your install wants. then check that path with the path in your ftp program and make sure that the capital and lower case letters match.