Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento image placeholder showing instead of my product images

DavidB

Total Posts:  8

I’ve just encountered the same problem.

It turned out that somewhere along the way safe_mode had been turned on. No idea how. The site was definitely set up with it turned off!

I think what happens is that safe_mode checks if files are owned by the same user that’s updating them. In the case of the image cache - parts of it were owned by apache and parts were owned by the main owner of the site. So safe_mode was preventing the server from generating the cached images.

I may have the details of the explanation wrong. And it may not be a universal cure. But it’s worth checking! It fixed it for me!!

Regards

db

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

arsanious

Total Posts:  37

I am in the same boat as you guys. Tried all the suggested mods (even though I am not a big fan of modifying the core files). Did anyone come across a solution. Please help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

frosted

Total Posts:  25
Vancouver BC

Hey Guys,

So I saw the desperation in this thread and thought I would chime in and see if I can provide some insight for this..

Here is from a post that I wrote a while back…

This is a big issue.. I am developing on a MAMP case in sensitive system and my LAMP remote system is case sensitive..

I was able to resolve it with the tips in this thread:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/index.php/viewthread/38352/

Running that script did not solve all my issues though, I actually had to upload the upper case folders as well.. basically all images uploaded before the 1.3.2.1 upgrade use uppercase folders and file names, and anything uploaded after 1.3.2.1 use lower case..  [this was after running the scripts provided on that thread]

Cheers,
J

I ended up having to maintain image directories that have upper and lower case folder names, I still run into image placeholders showing up every once and a while but the issue is more or less resolved for me..

The key to finding out if this is the issue is to check the file paths and determine if your install is looking for an “A” instead of an “a” ...

Hope it helps.  I have now learned to develop locally on a case-sensitive partition…

Cheers,
J

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ibuprofen

Total Posts:  1

I was having this issue as well; Images in the admin area were fine, but only the placeholders displayed on the frontend. This happened after I moved an install from a development location to a staging location. Magento would not create the product image cache because of this.

Check your phpinfo() and look at the GD section. If you don’t see:

JPG Support Enabled

then check your php configuration options for:

--with-gd --with-jpeg-dir=/dir/to/library/

http://php.net/manual/en/image.installation.php

I did not have a --with-jpeg-dir= specified and once I did all the images loaded up.

-Tony

Magento Community
Magento Community

sandmannd

Total Posts:  9

I’ve been fighting this for a couple of days. I resized my images so they were about 65kb and now it’s working fantastic.

Magento Community
Magento Community

abelcreative

Total Posts:  11

this may seem like a no brainer, but have you all checked the settings on each product, under “Image”? You can turn thumbnails off:

http://grab.by/2hnn

I have a better image attached

Image Attachments
settings.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

guerilla7

Total Posts:  12

I’ve added a few bits of information regarding this matter here:
damian.mx/blog/magento/allowed-memory-exhausted

Magento Community
Magento Community

jbhardman

Total Posts:  7

RESOLVED!!!

I was having this same problem until now.  Here’s the deal…

When specifying the amount of memory in your php configurations, you have to specify the M in uppercase.  So, there are a few places you can specify it:  index.php, php.ini, or .htaccess.

In all places I was using “512m” and no pictures would load, although the rest of the site was fine.  I changed it to “512M” and voila!

Here’s an example for each of these three files:

index.php would be:

ini_set('memory_limit''512M');

php.ini would be:

memory_limit 512M

.htaccess would be:

php_value memory_limit 512M

You don’t necessarily have to use 512, but be sure that you are using an uppercase M.

Please let me know if this works for you all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TheBakerMark

abelcreative - 08 February 2010 11:56 AM

this may seem like a no brainer, but have you all checked the settings on each product, under “Image”? You can turn thumbnails off:

I am a dumbass.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TheBakerMark

abelcreative - 08 February 2010 11:56 AM

Magento Community
Magento Community

block33

Total Posts:  17

Heres the problem.

First if you are moving your old media folder to your new install, then you might have capital letters in your Media/catalog/product/ folder.

it may look like this:

a
b
C
D
e
f
G
etc

When, i moved my media folder over it kept the capitalized letters while my new install was looking for lower case letters. To check this go to the admin and the go to a catalog item. When you mouse over the images you will get the x or broken image. right click and then choose inspect element.
This will give you the url of the image your install wants. then check that path with the path in your ftp program and make sure that the capital and lower case letters match.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dazzuko

Total Posts:  3

SOLUTION:
Step 1:
disable all cache
System -> Cache Management: Select All, Choose \’Disable\’ and click Submit.

Step 2:
FTP to \app\code\core\Mage\Catalog\Model\product\Image.php
In this file, you need to go to line 310 (in Magento 1.4)
this line will be:

'cache',
change it to:
'',
eg. remove the word cache

upload the file and refresh your magento page to see all of your lovely images!

Hope that helps, it certainly worked for me.

Dan

Magento Community
Magento Community

quasidynamic

Total Posts:  7

Problem for me is still unresolved as no fixes here worked.

I am on a fresh install of 1.4.0.1

seems like a bug to me. Havent changed the core at all, as a matter of fact i havent changed ANYTHING. i just did a clean install and added a product. broken right out of the gate.

it looks like image.php is creating some convoluted path where the file doesnt exist.

the file is at
/[docroot]/media/catalog/product/f/i/file_9.jpg but the script is loading the path as

/[docroot]/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/i/file_9.jpg

incorrectly appending cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/ to the path. what is this?? is the caching module not working as it should?

D

EDIT: got this solved, it was that my php wasnt compiled with JPEG support. thread here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/15084/

Magento Community
Magento Community

cthamer

Total Posts:  6

Hello all,

I got tired of reading through this thread and just started trying to figure it out on my own. FYI, my problem was all of the images were showing in the admin but not in all places in the front end. For example the thumb for an image was showing up but not the larger version. I resolved the problem by manually going in and deleting the directory media/catalog/product/cache/. Before this I had tried all the normal steps of disabling and deleting the cache using the admin but that didn\\\’t work.

Hopefully this may help out one of two of you with the same problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Magazento

Total Posts:  155
Russia,Volgograd

hi all!
I have soved this. Try to delete cache and watermark in media directory.

Good luck

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community