Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento image placeholder showing instead of my product images

jackcobain

Total Posts:  25

Hello sinbad,

please go to admin then click on “system"->"cache management” and disable the cache management then try my steps. it will definitely work.

Thanks,
jackcobain

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rwone

Total Posts:  174

i told my host about the issue of some images not displaying and they increased the memory and it fixed the issue straight away - so in my case, it was purely a memory issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SamArtioli

Total Posts:  9

I had this same issue and I got it working by modifying my php.ini file and changing:

memory_limit = 32M
to
memory_limit = 64M

If that doesn’t work try 128M

I also had to set up my configuration to only use a Single php.ini file for the site. BlueHost let me do this through their cPanel -> PHP Config

Images now appear

Magento Community
Magento Community

lmsweb

Total Posts:  26

I wish someone would come up with another suggestion ... my stores are being held up waiting for this.  I have tried everything in this section and nothing is working for me.

Is there anyone out there that would help troubleshoot my server config and tell me something else to try?

Thanks
Brent

Magento Community
Magento Community

Joanne3

Total Posts:  1

I had the same problem of product images only showing up in the admin pages and not on the store front end.

After trying most of the suggestions in these thread, I did what I should have started with and looked at the image size. Where most of the product images were around 120Kb, the images which would not display had sizes around 3Mb.

After re-educating the person loading up the product catalog and re-sizing the existing images the problem went away.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chris_

Total Posts:  27

I rememeber having such a problem with a shop v1.8.xxx
And it had something to do with the folder and file permissions of the media/catalog/product folder on the server.

Check those permissions.

Hope this helped

grtz

Magento Community
Magento Community

Arnold

Hello, everybody.

I have just spent sevral hours in search of a post that could help me out. There are a lot of creative people arround thats for sure. I’m not in favor of modifying the core magento code, that’s just not the way to go. Anway, this in my situation.

I have a development environment which runs just fine and does show images. What I have done is setup a production environment which resides under a different hostname on the same server. I use Plesk to setup the new domain. Basically I then copy the development environment to the new production environment, empty the cache, modify local.xml file, import the data from the development database into the production database, rerun pear setup, and adjust a few entries in the core_config_data table. And my production environment is up and running. Almost… I my case the product images did not show and the placeholder images was shown instead. I tried a lot of the useful suggestions in the forums but none helped. Finally I decided to dive into the problem myself. The problem was introduced when I created the new domain in Plesk. What I forgot was to configure PHP with safe mode off. Once PHP was set to unsafe mode my problem was solved.

So, for the once out there who are getting desperate, I hope this works for you also.

Magento Community
Magento Community

smalltom

Total Posts:  10

I have found the problem , it is because you have not set the watermark of logo at system—> setting -->config -->design -->watermark

Magento Community
Magento Community

wespomeroy

Total Posts:  4

I was having a similar problem with the product image not showing on my category pages, and finally found a solution that worked for me.

I had added the image I wanted under Catalog -> (my product) -> Images, but incorrectly was setting it’s type to ‘thumbnail’ (which is what you’d expect to show up on a catalog page / search results right?). Turned out I had to set it to be the ‘Small Image’.

Stupid, but I can’t tell you how long I messed with it before getting it to work. Different image sizes, formats, messing with the cache, etc. Nope...just needed to be set as the ‘Small Image’. Sigh.....

Magento Community
Magento Community

ogonkov
Guru

Total Posts:  582
Moscow, Russia

Hardcode Switch off memory check work for me, thanks, jalvarez grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mage Solutions

Total Posts:  15
Los Angeles, CA

Hi!

Anybody solved this problem? I tried everything on this post but nothing seems to work on my website. I did a re-install of Magento on my hosting company, upgrading from 1.2.1.2 to 1.3.2.1 and now, some images won’t show in the front page. I can see some images but some images are not shown, only the placeholders are visible.

Further investigation to the problem, I saw that those images that are not shown in the front end of the website have something in common, the image URL’s does not match the letter-case in the media folder. I exported my products listing all the SKU’s and the path to the image, and compare them to the path in media folder. I saw that an image that does not show have letter-case discrepancies. For example, a image has a URL of \C\1\C\image.jpg in the database, but looking inside the media\catalog\product folder, the path is \c\1\c\image.jpg, this was not a problem in the 1.2.1.2 version but after the new installation and upgrade, it became an issue for magento. I do not know if this is a bug, or just a misconfiguration in the server or in the php.ini. I also have set the PHP safe mode to OFF, but still I am not seeing all the images. I tried going to http:\\www.domainname.com\media\catalog\product\c\1\c\image.jpg and I can see the image in there.

So if any one knows the solution in this, or any from the team can help me with this one, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rhp08

Total Posts:  5

I have still the same problem! Somebody can help please!?
Thx

Magento Community
Magento Community

GREENLEAF

Total Posts:  30

Did you export your products and import them? If so the path Magento gives you is crap. Put all your images in MEDIA/IMPORT then change your image addresses in your data base from /L/E/NAME.JPG > /NAME.JPG and it should show up. But it sounds like you have some other issues over my head too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tury

After a lot of trial and error, from a previous post, I changed few characters and worked!

file is -> app/code/core/mage/catalog/model/product/image.php

around the line 274: there is an array

$path = array(
Mage::getSingleton(’catalog/product_media_config’)->getBaseMediaPath(),
‘cache’,
Mage::app()->getStore()->getId(),
$path[] = $this->getDestinationSubdir()
);

put below code instead of above

$path = array(
Mage::getSingleton(’catalog/product_media_config’)->getBaseMediaPath(),
‘’,
Mage::app()->getStore()->getId(),
$path[] = $this->getDestinationSubdir()
);

Worked for me. Good Luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ogonkov
Guru

Total Posts:  582
Moscow, Russia

Try setup memory limit, i solve this problem, when setup memmory limit from “-1” (no limits, my hoster default) to real limit of 128M

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community