Magento Forum

More advanced pricing

corradomatt

Total Posts:  161
San Diego, CA

I love Magento, but it is missing some powerful pricing functionality (unless I missed something).

How hard would it be to give the cart the ability to calculate pricing discounts based upon all products listed with configurable or group products?

Here’s our situation...... We sell sheets of material. All the sheets are the same size but they are different colors. There are quantity discounts when buying these sheets, but the discount applies to the total # of sheets in all colors....not to each individual color. I would like to have Magento use a grouped product (so that the customer can quickly choose their quantity of each sheet from one page). I am also going to be altering grouped products to show the thumbnail image of each product on the grouped page (kind of like a color chart of sorts).

Does anyone have any idea if Varien is going to be adding functionality like this?? Or should I start looking to have this developed for us? Is development even an option?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

Do the shopping cart rules not cover it for you? You can setup any type of discount you want in there. Okay, the customer has to go to the checkout to see the deal but it all works and it is for you to get the deals explained. The mini cart on the page also makes it easy for customers to see where they are up to.

You will have to get your coding hands out to pull up the images in the grouped page but that will not be too hard once you have spent all day staring at the problem - it is definitely a doable.

Whatever cart you use some customisation is to be expected, with Magento it is all open source and you can get anything ‘reasonable’ done. I have not seen what you need on the forums myself but I would have a look around, your requirements will invariably have already been solved by someone else.

Magento Community
Magento Community

corradomatt

Total Posts:  161
San Diego, CA

Thanks for the reply Discovery. Now that I’m thinking about (and after reading your post) I realize that I probably could setup cart rules to do the pricing structure. It will probably just be a lengthy set of rules. I’ve got 42 different colors and 14 different pricing tiers that all need to be inter-linked just for that one product. Hopefully that amount of data (on top of all our other products in the database) won’t slow the cart down.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community