Total Posts: 82
I just did this for client. If you’ve already created the new website in the admin (under Manage Stores), then you need to create a new frontend skin for your site. For me, the client wanted the “normal” site, and then a similar version that was specifically geared towards customers in the military. Here’s what I did:
1. I created a new “Store” under main website in Manage Stores. The new Store - aka Military points to the existing category tree.
2. Set up your new theme. For me, I was using the default, then created a custom version on top of “default”. For the military site, I want only a few changes (logo and header), so I created a new theme in app/design/frontend/default, called “military”. So my app/design/frontend/default folder has 3 themes in it: default, normal, and military. Military is just a copy of the changes I made in “normal”. Make your logo change to the appropriate file (likely app/design/frontend/military/template/page/html/header.phtml).
The next part can be tricky so pay close attention:
3. Go to System->configuration in the admin. Now that you’ve created a new store in manage stores, you should have a box in the top left called “Current Configuration Scope”. Click the “Web” tab on the side nav. Then under “Current Configuration Scope”, choose your new website, and modify the values for unsecure and secure Base Url. Mine end up being http://www.normal.com and military.normal.com (normal is just subbed in for example purposes - my store is not really called normal.com).
4. Now click the “Design” tab on the side navigation, making sure that your “new” site is still selected under “Current Configuration Scope”. Under Themes, you need to modify the Templates and Default fields by unchecking “use Website” and typing in the name of your new theme (in this case, it’s “military"). Click Save.
5. Now when you go to military.normal.com, you should see a similar version of your site, but with the new logo, because it’s using the modified theme you just created.
Hope that helps. Cheers!