Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Creating a new website that uses the existing back-end but a different front end. 

SecretSanta

Total Posts:  79

Hi there,

I currently use http://www.phonedevil.com/ as a very successful magento store, but I want to make some changes:

- I want to set up a new website (SimDevil.com) that uses my existing magento back-end.  Therefore I have used the ‘create new website’ option in the admin panel, but I’m not sure what to do next?

- I want people who visit SimDevil.com to be directed to a store that uses the same colour scheme/css as PhoneDevil.com.
The difference will be that the homepage display and the website logo will be different.

How can I achieve this?

Best Regards

Callum

p.s. in case it is relevant, my current theme is very much based upon the modern theme.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretSanta

Can anyone advise? smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

cclohman

Total Posts:  82
Los Angeles

I just did this for client.  If you’ve already created the new website in the admin (under Manage Stores), then you need to create a new frontend skin for your site.  For me, the client wanted the “normal” site, and then a similar version that was specifically geared towards customers in the military.  Here’s what I did:

1. I created a new “Store” under main website in Manage Stores.  The new Store - aka Military points to the existing category tree.
2. Set up your new theme.  For me, I was using the default, then created a custom version on top of “default”.  For the military site, I want only a few changes (logo and header), so I created a new theme in app/design/frontend/default, called “military”.  So my app/design/frontend/default folder has 3 themes in it: default, normal, and military.  Military is just a copy of the changes I made in “normal”.  Make your logo change to the appropriate file (likely app/design/frontend/military/template/page/html/header.phtml).

The next part can be tricky so pay close attention:

3. Go to System->configuration in the admin.  Now that you’ve created a new store in manage stores, you should have a box in the top left called “Current Configuration Scope”.  Click the “Web” tab on the side nav.  Then under “Current Configuration Scope”, choose your new website, and modify the values for unsecure and secure Base Url.  Mine end up being http://www.normal.com and military.normal.com (normal is just subbed in for example purposes - my store is not really called normal.com). 

4. Now click the “Design” tab on the side navigation, making sure that your “new” site is still selected under “Current Configuration Scope”.  Under Themes, you need to modify the Templates and Default fields by unchecking “use Website” and typing in the name of your new theme (in this case, it’s “military").  Click Save.

5.  Now when you go to military.normal.com, you should see a similar version of your site, but with the new logo, because it’s using the modified theme you just created.

Hope that helps.  Cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretSanta

whoah, many thanks!!! smile

Is there a way it can be configured so that the new site is military.com, not military.normal.com?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cclohman

Total Posts:  82
Los Angeles

Yeah, I think you can put any url you want in there.  In my situation, the client wanted the military site prefix on the domain, but if you put SimDevil.com in there, it should work too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretSanta

Thanks so much for your help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

friends1976

Total Posts:  42

Do you think the link would change if the store is not on the main root of the domain?  For instance, http://www.example.com/store? So, if I added a new store would it be newstore.example.com/store ??  Does my question make sense?  I appreciate your answer to this ALOT!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community