Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento CPU requirements

Dgio

Total Posts:  2

I was reading yesterday some blog review and the person was stating that Magento is so heavy and hits so hard on server cpu that it will only run well from VPS or dedicated server.

how true that is? has anyone run magento off shared hosting package successfully?

how its pressure on cpu differs from other shopping carts like cubecart, os commerce or interspire?

anyone has any numbers or experience in comparing Magento with other carts in this regard?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

Can you post the blog review?

True - Magento needs a VPS with a good chunk of RAM, speedy CPU and a fast disk. Some say it is a resource hog. Some say ‘Magento is killing me’. Then they just get on with following the instructions on performance and get a good looking site that is snappy…

Although people make shops with the likes of cubecart, customers do not shop at them. That’s the bottom line, not hosting fees.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ttwhy

Total Posts:  70

and you have to say -> Magento have allready done a lot on the performance. If this blogentries care about a early version, you shouldnt be to scared.

Whenever there are performance issues -> try the caching section of magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

Al

Total Posts:  1

Discovery - 22 November 2008 07:05 AM

Although people make shops with the likes of cubecart, customers do not shop at them.

UTTER UNFOUNDED NONSENSE!! You have statistics or facts to back this up?

I know of CubeCart stores that turn over a couple of million dollars per year. Magento is a cracking piece of software and I am sure it will go far but there is no escaping the fact that right now it is power hungry. I personally don’t see anything wrong with that as long as the hosting solution is appropriate.

Magentos’ target audience such as high end design agencies should indeed provide high quality powerful dedicated or servers within their resources to serve the pages.

CubeCart’s target audience is small to medium businesses and it is a great platform to start on. As all the source code you need is available it is as scalable as you could ever wish.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

Magento will probably be too resource heavy for the average sub-$10 shared host, but you definitely won’t need a dedicated server for a small-medium size store. There are a few companies that offer Magento compatible hosting services on these forums, with plans starting around $20/mo. See this list for more information: http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/general/magento-web-hosting

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community