Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

upgrades on production sites, at this time of the year

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

after reading the forum, i was just curious as to how people are managing to upgrade their live sites at the busiest time of the year.

usually once upgrades comes out, there are going to be bugs (and lots of them), so perhaps it may be wise to hold off on the upgrades until the other guys can test things out fully.

just a suggestion.....

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

GPutignano

Total Posts:  214
Lauria - Italy

Hi,
I’ve just upgraded to resolve previous bugs, but other new one are coming.
I hope in a new minor update in the coming days.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Business Feet

Total Posts:  82

@simplehelix - I appreciate what you’re saying but when something is released as a minor update to address bugs and is being classed as stable you don’t expect to upgrade and then find things that worked in previous versions not to work once upgraded.  Also if everyone waits to upgrade then who will find these bugs grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

GPutignano

Total Posts:  214
Lauria - Italy

@Business Feet
Should need weekly upgrade to solve minor bugs. At this time Magento team should concentrate to make more stable the core and than starting again implementing new features.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Business Feet

Total Posts:  82

I agree there should be weekly bug updates and then Milestone releases which should be release candidates rather than Stable Upgrades

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

yes a release candidate for testing would be good.....

but I think most importantly, it would be best if magento data can be easily exported and imported, so you can freely move the data around to other versions and installs.

i think that is why it’s so risky to upgrade, right now, magento’s export seems to lack a lot of options for other types of data like categories/orders/attributes.

i think design change breaking are not that of a serious issue as compared to database, since those can be fixed by hand, but not too sure how you would go about fixing broken databases after an upgrade.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cannonballdex

Total Posts:  65

I upgraded my test server through the magento connect (magento-core/Mage_All_Latest) and all is good so far. I agree you should hold off on upgrading production servers without testing. What a headache to try and fix a broken site when the busiest time of the year is near.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community