Magento Forum

Out of my Depth? 

frank265

Total Posts:  7

Hi All,

I’m a bit of a one man band with a great retail store that is looking to also sell online. I’ve been bouncing around a few forums trying to decide what solution to use.  I thought I’d nailed it, then Magento got thrown into the mix and now I’m seriously confused....

To be honest, I’d found a good off the shelf hosted solution with a sophisticated web based CMS. This suited me fine as I don’t know HTML or any other programming languages, so the attraction was the WYSIWYG interface, which I could take over once the site was fully customised.  This also helped with my small initial budget.

But then I’ve been talking to a good company who’ve said that they can host Magento, and put a basic WYSIWYG template in place for some of the key pages, plus set up things like taxation and payment gateways, which from readnig here are the things that have given people real headaches.

Magento is definitely my preferred choice in terms of functionality and design. It just looks amazing.

My question though is, if I go down the Magento route described above do you guys think I’ll be out of my depth when my website is handed back to me?  I’m particularly interested to hear back from the people who have been there and launched a Magento site.  What level of resource was needed and how are you finding the upkeep?  Do “upgrades” to Magento mean that you need to revisit the work you’ve already done?

And if anyone else has some views on this, please do let me know.  I’m desperately trying to gather as much info as possible as I really want to make the right decision!!!!!

Thanks all.

F

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Darren Grant

Total Posts:  84

If someone is setting it up for you, you will be fine. The biggest headache with Magento is the hugely steep learning curve to get it set-up and customized. The main reason being woefully inadequate documentation and that setting it up for a non US site takes a bit of tweaking to get it working properly for the UK for example.

But once you have a store set-up, adding products to it and processing your orders etc is all pretty straight forward.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kim84

Total Posts:  1

Just to add on to this…

How “steep” is this learning curve? Could anyone work out the tweaks needed to make Magento a good option within the UK?

I already have a ClickCartPro store using Protx (set up and customised by myself), and while it is reasonably flexible, as our site continues to grow it’s limitations become all the more apparent. Magento seems perfect, but we don’t have the budget to have someone set it up for us.

Is it worth working out myself, or am I better off waiting until I can budget in someone else to do it for us?

Thanks x

Magento Community
Magento Community

frank265

Total Posts:  7

Darren Grant - 22 November 2008 08:17 AM

If someone is setting it up for you, you will be fine. The biggest headache with Magento is the hugely steep learning curve to get it set-up and customized. The main reason being woefully inadequate documentation and that setting it up for a non US site takes a bit of tweaking to get it working properly for the UK for example.

But once you have a store set-up, adding products to it and processing your orders etc is all pretty straight forward.

Thanks Darren, really appreciate the feedback.  Are you working with Magento at the moment?  Or just following its progress?  Also I have noticed that some of the UK sites are really slow.  Is that just a hosting issue?  Any thoughts?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eminent Style

Total Posts:  86
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom

@frank265, Its just a hosting issue. Get the right shared hosting and you will be fine.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community