Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product organization and attributes help

satrinaomega

Total Posts:  3

Hi,

I need some advice/help on product organization in Magento. If you are a professional I would be happy to pay for more indepth help if you can offer it!

I sell customized paper products. (example. thank you tags, cards)

I design an image, say A Tree with Birds.

I use that same image on MOST ALL products. (thank you tags, cards)

I want two things, one top menu that says Browse by Design (with subcategories like Birds, Tree, Flowers)

And second I want Browse by Product (thank you tags, cards, etc, since there are a few designs that can’t be on all products)

I want the customer to pick on a picture of a design they like and be taken to the product page, and their first selection should be What Type of product to you want to put this image on: (thank you tags, cards etc.)

Each product type has different attributes/options, say Thank You tags can only have one line of text added, and maybe cards can have two.

So once a product is picked, say Thank You tags. Selections and options for Thank You tags should appear. Customer finishes customizing their tag, adds that to their shopping cart.

Hope that makes sense, have played around for a few weeks now and not able to reproduce exactly what I want!

Is that possible? Any advise?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

One approach is as follows:
1) Design is a product attribute, like manufacturer.
2) Product type is a category.
3) you have and extension like Improved Navigation to be able to assign descriptions and images to the available designs (values of the “Design") attribute.
4) So, when customer open category Types they can browse by Subtype (subcategories), e.g cards, or select design (e.g trees).
5) When customers open link “All designs” (like all brands page), they can select a design and filter by categories inside design (cards).

Magento Community
Magento Community

satrinaomega

Total Posts:  3

Thank you! That is very much what I had in mind!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community