Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product API - SKUs and IDs - terrible programming technique

bloggleme

Total Posts:  101

Using the Product API, let’s assume I need to assign a product relation. I would do this using the following call (WSDL) in php:

$client->call($session, ‘catalog_product_link.assign’, array(’related’, $firstsku, $secondsku));

Alright, now the real interesting part about the product API is that the sku and id are *interchangeable* - BAD IDEA

Let’s assume that I use two individual skus for my product relation. However, the second sku is also the ID of a completely different product. Guess what, you just accidentally assigned a relation to the wrong products. I’ve ran into this situation numerous times. Magento Developers - please give us a way of selecting whether we are assigning products by SKU or ID.

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community