Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

WPML/qTranslate-plugin support for Fishpig Magento-Wordpress extension

wimhxl

Total Posts:  11

I am using the Fishpig Magento-Wordpress extension, which I think is the best one around for integrating Magento with WP. The WP-blog is fully integrated with the Magento templates.

The developer had provided support for a number of WP plugins.

Because I have a multilingual site, I would of course like the blog to be multilingual. I think the best plugin to achieve that is WPML. In my WordPress dashboard, I can add languages, add translations for categories and posts.
(edit 4 Oct. 2011: the free qTranslate seems to be at least as good as the WPML plug-in)

But, in the frontend, all posts are shown in all languages. There is a language switcher widget included, but it only works in Wordpress templates. The code for this function should be transferred to the Magento templates so the function works and I can add a custom language switcher to the blog.

There is a line of code to insert the built-in language switcher in a custom template, but it doesn’t work in Magento:
http://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/#language_switcher

WPML give this documentation for developers to build a custom language switcher:
http://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/custom-language-switcher/

I am not a programmer, but I guess the definitions of the functions for this language switcher need to be transferred from the WP template to Magento.

Anyone that thinks he can do this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

santibm

Total Posts:  19
Granada, Spain

Hi!

I’m trying to achieve the same, i am using qTranslate as its a free plugin, i have the same issue, actually, in my blog when i switch the store language the things in the blog like tags, and others get translated, but the content is displayed in all languages!

If i get it working I’ll let you know!

Santi

Magento Community
Magento Community

wimhxl

Ah, that would be great if you find how to do this. I am certainly willing to switch to qTranslate since it’s free and looks like it is at least as good as WPML. I also have the impression that it is build up in a simpler way.

I have asked a couple of developers I know if they can do this but none have time. If I find someone who can do it, I’ll post it here as well!

Fishpig, the developer of this great Magento-Wordpress extension is also willing to look into it in the future but now doesn’t have time neither.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wimhxl

Any new developments?

Please note that there also needs to be support for two additional plugins to qTranslate:
- qTranslate slug with widget (to translate the url slugs, not included in the main qTranslate plugin).
- qTranslate META (to translate the metatags)

Santi, did I understand it right that you had found a way to display tag and category name translations?

qTranslate makes extra fields for tagnames and category names per language. For the post content, it combines all languages in one post, and puts every language between language tags. I tried something out to show only the content between the tags of the current store view, but it didn’t work (I’m not a programmer, but I know a few basics). Problem is that in the post content, there are 2 pieces of the post: the excerpt before the ‘more’-tag and the rest of the post. So the algoritm should extract these two pieces for the current language.

wim

Magento Community
Magento Community

FishPig

Total Posts:  232

We have just released a new Magento extension called Magento WordPress Multisite Integration. This extension will allow you to integrate a Multisite WordPress installation into a Multi-site Magento store.

Although this doesn’t provide direct support for multi language, it will allow you to have a separate blog for each store. Using this method, you can make each blog a different language, which to the front end user, will allow them to read your blog posts in the correct language.

For more information about this extension, see the following URL:

http://fishpig.co.uk/wordpress-multisite-integration.html

For this extension to work, you will need to upgrade Magento WordPress Integration to the latest version.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wimhxl

Great! Looks like a really good solution. I’m looking forward to finally being able to split our blog into three versions, for every language store view.

Will buy the new extension soon (after some other work on the site)! Thanks for developing it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dialoguenet

Total Posts:  20

Hi,

I’m using multisite & Wordpress Integration form FishPig and I very happy with those solutions!

But.. they always;-) In a bilingual Magento if you switch language you get the same page in the other language… except for pages coming from Wordpress.

This cause problem by given a lot of broken link. Bad for SEO & usability.

In my Wordpress Installation I have try to use a Wordpress plugin (http://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-language-switcher/) that give the ability to link page & post with there relative in other language but without success.

Alternatively you can name your Wordpress category & page in a very generic way like : /sec1/post3/ so Magento will add the language directory in your URL /en/sec1/post3/ & /fr/sec1/post3/ but all Wordpress contributor will have to respect that choice.

If you got better idea to get a multi language Magento Wordpress integration your welcome!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community