Also got the same error. Anybody figure out what the issue is?
Was able to roll back to 1.1.6 and am up and running on that.
The upgrade worked fine in my local dev copy and our staging install ( which is on the same server as production ), but production got the above mentioned error.
Could it be a multiple install instance issue? Anybody else who got the error running multiple installs on the same box with APC enabled? Just brainstorming. I really have no evidence that is what caused it, but find it interesting that it worked in dev and staging, but not production, all from an identical code base ( subversion repository ).
Woodmage - I think you are right, it has to do with multiple installs. I first installed 1.1.7 on my site and it worked fine, but it messed up my theme so I did a restore back to 1.1.6 until I had time to fix the theme. Later when I tried to redo the 1.1.7 upgrade it would not let me. Upon further inspection, some of the tables and changes to the database 1.1.7 made during the first attempt were still in there. That is what causes the problem, for me at least. I have no idea how to get around this though. I need my DB to go back to its ‘virgin’ 1.1.6 setup in order to install 1.1.7. Either that or just allow 1.1.7 the rights to overwrite those parts when installing.
Not exactly what I was thinking. I had a db backup that I put in after rolling back to 1.1.6, so didn’t run into the same problem you are having. I actually have two separate installs of magento on the same server. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the APC cache issues with multiple separate installs. I don’t know that it is that. Just a thought.
In your case, if you have a db backup pre-1.1.7, if you restore that, then you should be up and running again, at least that was my experience.