Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

upgrading magento 1.3 to 1.5

Ratnesh

Total Posts:  3

Hello

I am upgrading magento 1.3 to 1.5. My website database is also bulky, it is in GBs.
The process what i am doing while upgrading that is -
1. First i take back up of my old database.
2. Import that database with other name.
3. Then download the latest version of magento from magento server.
4. While installing magento latest version i pass the database name which i import with other name. That i use old database.
5. But during installation when updating the database table it fails and give error.

I also trying by using extension.

Please help me regarding this..

I will be very thankful to you..

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jcuthbert

Total Posts:  23
Manchester

Its good to see that you took sutible steps to ensure a disaster recovery route is in place (backups).

Quite often people come to us screaming my site is broken after i tried to upgrade to magento 1.x can you help. Naturally our first thought is do you have the database availible. More often than not they say no or something like that.

As to your specific problem, you mention that it comes up with an error but you havent told us what that error is, this is a vital clue in diagnostics of the problem you have , for example if it says theres a database connection error, thats completely different proces from fixing it telling you that it cant write to directory var

if you can paste the details of the error, you might find its in <magentoroot>/var/reports/ the last few lines of var/log/exception and var/log/system might be of interest in diagnostics as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ratnesh

Total Posts:  3

Hello
i was getting below error when update magento 1.3 to 1.5. i just paste the whole text from error reporting file.
When i was installing magento 1.5 then i just old database name, old username and password.

a:5:{i:0;s:267:\"Error in file: \"C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\magento5\\app\\code\\core\\Mage\\Directory\\sql\\directory_setup\\mysql4-upgrade-0.8.10-0.8.11.php\" - SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1267 Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation \’=\’\";i:1;s:964:\"#0 C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\magento5\\app\\code\\core\\Mage\\Core\\Model\\Resource\\Setup.php(390): Mage::exception(\’Mage_Core\’, \’Error in file: ...\’)
#1 C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\magento5\\app\\code\\core\\Mage\\Core\\Model\\Resource\\Setup.php(289): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb(\’upgrade\’, \’0.8.4\’, \’0.8.11\’)
#2 C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\magento5\\app\\code\\core\\Mage\\Core\\Model\\Resource\\Setup.php(233): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_upgradeResourceDb(\’0.8.4\’, \’0.8.11\’)
#3 C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\magento5\\app\\code\\core\\Mage\\Core\\Model\\Resource\\Setup.php(161): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\magento5\\app\\code\\core\\Mage\\Core\\Model\\App.php(399): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\magento5\\app\\code\\core\\Mage\\Core\\Model\\App.php(329): Mage_Core_Model_App->_initModules()
#6 C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\magento5\\app\\Mage.php(627): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#7 C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\magento5\\index.php(80): Mage::run(\’\’, \’store\’)
#8 {main}\”;s:3:\"url\”;s:45:\"/magento5/index.php/install/wizard/installDb/\”;s:11:\"script_name\”;s:19:\"/magento5/index.php\”;s:4:\"skin\”;s:7:\"default\";}

Thanks for your reply..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alexandrable

Total Posts:  55

Ratnesh,

It’s good you’re doing the fresh installation of Magento. This way you will ensure, at least a little bit, the success of upgrade. What I would suggest, is that you let a third-party extension take care of your database. At least this way, you will only worry about proper installation of the new Magento. What I can suggest in this case, you can try this service: http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/shopping-cart-migration-options/223-magento-to-magento-migration. It’s pretty decent and works with all of Magento versions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hornet2012

Total Posts:  2

any solution??

Magento Community
Magento Community

nickmason

Total Posts:  2

I did 1.3 to 1.5 upgrade some time ago and it went pretty smooth, however I didn’t use Magento Connect. I simply did a fresh installation of 1.5 and then moved everything there. I’m not sure how it would work the other way, but this worked for me. So I’d suggest making the fresh magento instal. Plus, if you need to then move your store to the new Magento, there’s plenty of stuff on www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect that will do that for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kalenjordan

Total Posts:  218
Pasadena, CA

Hi @Ratnesh, That error message probably means that your directory_country_region database table is using latin1_swedish_ci collation, so it’s hitting a conflict because Magento wants it to be using the utf8_general_ci collation. 

You can check what collation your table is using by running:

show table status where name 'directory_country_region'

There is also a post here with more details around the Illegal mix of collations error.

Magento Community
Magento Community

clark5901

Total Posts:  1

Thanks for the nice information in this post dear…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community